Pastor Lim, Jung Suk (Daegu Pyunggang Church)

Luke chapter 2 tells of an old man and woman waiting for the birth of Christ. Today and next Sunday I will tell you of the faith of this old man and old woman. Their faith in Advent and at the end of their waiting, the joy that came with Christmas. I would like to share the joy of their Christmas.

Today’s scripture, this old man, he had been living for a very long time. And at this time, while he was waiting, verse 25:

25Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him.

This means that Simeon this old man was waiting. So what was he waiting for? This is shown in verse 25; he was waiting for the consolation of Israel.

Yea, most of us have some experience as we live our lives, when we are waiting, sometimes it is good, and sometimes it is really hard and very boring. This is because waiting needs time and patients.

In a drama, “Waiting for Godot” The author received a Nobel Prize for Literature.
Like the title, what is it that he is waiting for? The author is Samuel Beckett. He said in this drama, it seems like the people of this world are living like they are waiting for something. And who and what are they waiting for?! How do they wait? They don’t even know. But they are just waiting and waiting. People are living like this; these people are just waiting. And this is a drama about this life. “En Attendant Godot”

So, En Attendant Godot, the word Godot is a mystery. The people come and generally say, at the end of the war or at the independence. Or some people think this is a material meaning or a safe place. Like this, there is something they are surely waiting for at the end. Like this in this case we cannot say this is right. The author points this out to us.

In today’s scripture Simeon if we see that he is waiting for Godot, the way he is waiting he is not a man waiting for Godot. He is waiting for the consolation of Israel.

If I say this again, He is just waiting for someone, and he is spending his time as he continues to live into his old age. He knows what he is waiting for. He knows who he is waiting for. He should have some hope with him and he waits in his faith for a very long time. This old man, Simeon.

25Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him.

So this old man is not just an old man who has been waiting for a long time and also he was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel.

The greatest thing was that the Holy Spirit was upon him...

He was righteous and devout, he was waiting for the consolation of Israel and the Holy Spirit was upon him.

This waiting for Israel is connected with the consolation of Israel. It had been told for several hundred years a very important story. That is that someday, God will send the messiah for the consolation of Israel. This messiah will be sent to this world. This messiah will be the son of David. and like in the past history of Israel; this would be a most glorious time for the King David and a salvation from the crisis in Israel. And a leader will come to their nation and race to be placed on top of the world and nations.

This is the Messiah the people of Israel are talking about.

Yes, of course this story is not an unrealistic story. Because God tells this to the ancestors of Israel. This story is passed on by these ancestors and is a basis for them.

It was a long time ago that god told this word to the people of Israel.

Isaiah 40:1-2
Comfort, comfort my people, says your God.
2Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and proclaim to her that her hard service has been completed, that her sin has been paid for, that she has received from the LORD's hand double for all her sins.

Isaiah 40:9-11
9You who bring good tidings to Zion, go up on a high mountain. You who bring good tidings to Jerusalem, lift up your voice with a shout, lift it up, do not be afraid; say to the towns of Judah, "Here is your God!"
10See, the Sovereign LORD comes with power, and his arm rules for him. See, his reward is with him, and his recompense accompanies him.
11He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.

Old man Simeon believed this word and lived waiting for this. So that is why he always prayed as he waited for the consolation of Israel.

So, one day he heard a voice.
he would not die before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

This voice was something amazing that he heard but it was a very clear voice. So this old man Simeon from that time on had even more faith as he waited.

The Holy Spirit told him he would not die before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.

How thankful he must have felt.

But, if we look back at the history of Israel, this happening was not to be a common event nor would it be easy for him. This he already knew.

This means, even though they have been waiting for a long time, the messiah has not come yet.

They passed 100 years, 200 years and 300 years. They just waited. They waited without a time limit and waited to only die. Even though this, the messiah didn’t come. So these people did not trust the thought of the messiah coming to them. Also, not many people believed that the messiah would come during their time. So while waiting for this messiah, those who were living with faith were few. Yes, there numbers were small. So, Simeon was one of this small numbers. It was that much the faith of this old man was sure.

His faith was an absolute faith. God’s word would never change. It would stay for ever. God said it once; at that time, when is this time going to be? Surely this is something that will be worked out. That is the absolute faith. This is why he had absolute faith.

Even as I wait, it may not work out in my time. After I die, if god’s word, then it will surely work out after I die. This was the way he lived. He lived with this faith. This old man Simeon, one day the Holy Spirit was revealed to him, that you would not die before you have seen the Lord's Christ.

How joyous he must have felt to hear this.

What I think is like this.

While people are waiting, not everyone will receive this revealing. So who is it that is able to receive this? Like this old man Simeon, righteous and devout, and sincerely waiting for the consolation of Israel. And especially the Holy Spirit was upon him.

Then he was able to experience and hear this voice. The Holy Spirit was revealed to him.

Actually, in our lives, if a church going person hears from another person that he is a truly righteous person, and his whole life is lived in a righteous way. And this man is truly devoted and living his life in a devoted way. Living this way would not be easy.

This old man Simeon received many compliments like this. And what was the way he showed in his life his righteousness? This was shown very well in his waiting for the consolation of Israel.

The consolation of Israel if we look in verse 38, it will help us understand it better.
38Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem.

When we look at this word, all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem looking forward has the same meaning as waiting. as they were waiting for the promised messiah. this way we can understand it better.

This righteous and devout with the holy Spirit upon him, this old man Simeon was waiting for the consolation of Israel. then one day he was able to see a baby in a temple. He knew this baby was not a normal baby. This story is in verse 27..
27Moved by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the custom of the Law required,

One day Simeon went into the temple by the guidance of the Holy Spirit.At that moment Jesus’ parents brought Jesus to him for what the custom of the Law required.

Of course the word messiah was not written across his forehead. Simeon could feel it with his whole body that this baby was not just and ordinary baby. He knew through prayer and spiritual insight that this baby was not just an ordinary baby.

Then he was thankful and gave praise to God.

Actually in his whole life there had been a lot of time waiting for this moment. So his joy was indescribable. So this is why his praise was like this.

28Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying:
29"Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace.
30For my eyes have seen your salvation,
31 which you have prepared in the sight of all people,
32a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel."

He was shaking. His hands and lips were shaking. And his confession and praise is now shown through this salvation from the lord. He saw this with his own two eyes.

He praised with a true heart, from deep in his heart and soul.

This baby was not just any baby, this baby is the salvation from the Lord. Now I can see the salvation from the Lord. Then he continued his praise. A light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel.

Even though this was just a baby, this baby was for the whole nation, the whole race.and he was singing a light for the revelation of the Gentiles. For this baby he was singing.

Actually before Jesus had come, there was no light for this revelation of the Gentiles. Surely this light doesn’t just mean sunlight. It means the light of the Gospel, the light of Salvation. They had been living in the dark because when we look at the view of the chosen and abandon, the gentiles was already abandoned by the chosen. So those people didn’t need the light.

So Jesus comes to with light for the revelation of the Gentiles. This is a truly unexpected event.

This wall of race, position, culture and country, had been overcome. All world nations and the gentiles to all corners of the world could all now see the light of the Gospel. This light was for the revelation of the Gentiles. The light had come to this world.

This Old Man Simeon, he praised this point and continued singing for the glory to the people of the Lord of Israel.

31 which you have prepared in the sight of all people,
32a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel."

Simeon was truly amazing. His body was that of an old man, getting weaker as he gets older. But his spiritual insight had never weakened.

So, when he learned, he believed and through his experience he was touched by the Holy Spirit. All of this comes together as he decorated that glorious moment.

Then Simeon told the Mother Mary,
34Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: "This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, 35so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too."

Here, the falling and rising of many in Israel, means: people believe that Jesus Christ is the Messiah; these people will be rising. they will receive salvation. And on the other hand, those who don’t believe in Christ as the messiah, they will fall.

Which means this baby is not just any baby, he is the messiah. It depends on whether or not the people believe, as to if they will rise or fall.

Looking at verse 34, a sign that will be spoken against. He tells that Jesus will be suffering on the Cross. He tells the meaning of dying and the crucifixion for the redemption of Jerusalem.

If we look at verse 35:

35so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too."

A sword will pierce your own soul too. This means that Jesus in his entire ministry will be full of great pain. Like a sword piercing your own heart. This was to the mother Mary.

The thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. This means, The event of the crucifixion will show very well how mans mind works and thinks. This event will show.

This means that man is singing very loud in Hosanna in the Highest at first.But he will be quickly turned away and this same person will cry out for the crucifixion. This type of sinner... Also he tells that mans heart is basically evil.

In Closing, loving fellow Christians:

Before I close this sermon, I would like to one more time think deeply about something. That is, a spirit of character named Simeon.

Yes he was righteous and devote. He was a very faithful person as he waited for the consolation of Israel. He was a very faithful old man. If we look a little more closely, we can discover some of his more important spiritual character traits. That is that this old man Simeon was a very spiritual man. I think this is a very important point and most important.

I say this because today’s scripture verse 25-35 the word of the Holy Spirit comes three times. These three times are all connected to the old man Simeon.

First in verse 25: the Holy Spirit was upon him.
Second in 26: revealed to him by the Holy Spirit
Third in 27: Moved by the Spirit he went into the temple.

Honestly, I truly envy him. The Holy Spirit upon him means that Simeon had the Holy Spirit right above him. Protecting him. Guiding him.
The Holy Spirit was controlling his life and his thoughts.

So, the old man learned his whole life from the Holy Spirit. Even if he was a stubborn old man, he was moved by the spirit and controlled by the spirit. This was the old man.

Because of this, he was a righteous and devout old man.

Like in verse 26 he was able to be revealed by the Holy Spirit. And like in verse 27 he was moved by the spirit into the temple. How wonderful it must have been.

I wish that all of us could receive this blessing.

This old man Simeon, the important thing about his spiritual character was that he was living righteous and devout. And it was revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord's Christ.

These words are also some very important words during this season of Advent. This is something that should be carved into our hearts. A very important word.

If I ask in this Advent season who is it that we should meet with? In this Advent season what is it we should see?

That is, of course, Christ, our God, and our messiah, Christ. God has come to us as the messiah Jesus. Jesus Christ has come to this world for the salvation of me. This Christ is who we should see and meet.

You will not die before you have seen the Lord’s Christ.

Simeon finally saw the Christ, and after his confession was like this,
29"Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace.

Now he meets with Christ and he sees Christ. It would be ok for him to die now.
How is it possible for him to make this confession? The reason is in verse 30...
30For my eyes have seen your salvation,

This salvation has not worked out yet, but starting now it has reached it’s beginning. But when he looks at this child he also sees the salvation from the Lord. This was how he was really full of joy and gave praise. His confession and praise in this advent season can be changed to my confession and my praise. A blessing in the name of the Lord.