I want to talk with you this evening about the power of silence. First, a story: there was a remote monastery in the suburbs of Washington DC which I visited with my theology professor where the monks followed a rigid vow of silence during every other dinner. One monk was permitted to speak one sentence, and another monk was permitted to speak only one sentence two days later.

오늘 저녁 침묵의 능력에 대해 서 이야기 하고 싶습니다. 첫 번째로 이 야기를 하겠습니다: 워싱턴 DC 근교 에 오래된 수도원이 하나 있는데, 전 그 곳을 신학교수님과 함께 방문 하였 습니다. 그곳은 말을 하지 않고 침묵을 지 키며 저녁식사를 먹기로 굳게 맹세 를 한 수도사들이 지내고 있는 곳이었습 니다. 1명의 수도사는 오직 한 문장 만 말하고 다른 수도사는 이틀 뒤에 또 한 문장을 말 할 수 있었습니다.

One day one brother spoke and said, “I love the delightful mashed potatoes today. Then he sat down. We looked down at our mashed potatoes in silence. We wonder if there was any wisdom in his words. Two days later another brother spoke: “I think the mashed potatoes are lumpy and I hate them!” Once again, silence ensued for another 48 hours. The next brother had his turn two days later and said these startling words, “I am fed up with this constant bickering!”

하루는 한 형제가 말하였습니다, “오늘의 으깬 감자 는 매우 맛있습니다.” 라고 말하고 앉았습니다. 우리는 침묵 속에 우리 앞에 놓여진 으깬 감자를 쳐다 봤습니다. 그리곤 그 형제님의 말씀에 어떠한 진리가 있었 는지를 생각했습니다. 2일이 지난 후, 다른 형제가 말하였습니다. “으깬 감 자는 덩어리 지고 정말 싫어요” 라고 말했습니다. 또 한번 침묵은 48 시간 동 안 지 켜져야 했습니다. 그리고 그 다음 형제님은 2일이 지난 후에 그 의 차 례에 이렇게 말을 시작했습니다. “나는 이렇게 계속되는 말다툼에 이골이 나 버렸어!”

This is an amusing funny story, but the truth is it’s all the funnier to us because our society cannot imagine being in a community where silence is such an integral part of life together. Noise and activity have become the symbols for us of the good life, and filling up empty time as much as possible. The busier we are the more successful we are perceived. We have cell phones, MP3s, TV Home systems with DVD players, radios to crowd out opportunities for quiet time in our society. While technology has increased our opportunities for busyness, the problem is that human beings have decreased their capacity for being still. The Bible doesn’t say “Get busy, so that you can know the Lord,” but rather in Psalm 46, “Be still, and know that I am God.”

이것은 재미있는 이야기 입니다, 하지만 사실은 우리는 침묵이 우리 사회에서 그리고 삶에서 살아가는데 아주 중요한 부분을 차지한 사회에 사는 것을 상상조차 못하기 때문에 이 이야기는 더 재 미있었는지도 모르겠습니다. 소음과 행동이 우리의 즐거운 삶의 상징이 되어 버렸습니다. 그리고 시간을 나누어 활용하고 바쁘게 사는 것이 중요해졌습니 다. 더 바쁠수록 성공한 것처럼 보이는 것 또한 일반화 되었습니다. 우리는 핸드폰을 가지고 있고, MP3 플레이어도 있고, TV 홈씨어터를 비롯해 라디오 를 크게 틀고 사회에서 고요함을 즐길 시간을 없애버립니다. 기술이 우리의 바쁜 일상을 더 바쁘게 할 동안, 인류는 인간의 침묵의 역량을 낮추었습니다. 성경은 이렇게 말하지 않습니다. “바빠라, 그러면 너는 하나님을 알 것이다.” 하지만 Psalm 46에서 이렇게 말씀 하십니다. “가만히 있어라 내가 하나님 이라는 것을 알 것이다.”

The lack of God-knowledge is an age old problem. The first scripture lesson read this morning from the third chapter of the first book of Samuel, describes events that occurred in the Holy Land 1,100 years before the birth of Christ. It was a time when the Lord God appeared to have abandoned the people. The chapter begins with the statement that God’s word was “rare” in those days, and “visions were not widespread.” Does this mean that God stopped speaking, or stopped trying to communicate with people? No, it seems rather that the people at that time in their history had slowly lost the ability to hear God speaking. Prophets, or God’s spokesmen, were no longer being heard, and eventually stopped speaking. The political leadership was ineffective. The religious leadership also was corrupt, and those who should have known better—the sons of the prophet Eli—do not share his devotion to the Lord, and they are known for their wickedness and total lack of “regard for the Lord.” Things had reached a low point in spiritual growth and development.

하나님에 관한 지식의 부족은 오래 전부터 전해 온 문제점입니다. 오늘 아침에 성서연구 시간에 읽었던 내용은 사무엘상서 3장에서 나온 내용이었습니다. 그 내용은 1100년 전 “홀리랜 드” 라는 곳에서 일어난 일이며, 예수님의 탄생 이전의 이야기 입니다. 시대적 배경은 하나님이 인간을 포기했던 시기였습니다. 3 장은 그 시대에는 신의 말씀은 매우 적었다라고 시작을 합니다. 그리고 선견지명은 널리 알려 지지 않았다라고 말할 수 있습니다. 이것은 신이 인간들에게 말하시는 것을 멈추셨거나 대화하시려고 하는 것을 멈추셨던 것일까요? 아닙니다. 역사적 으로 보면 인간은 이 시대에 하나님의 말씀을 듣는 능력을 조금씩 잃어가고 있었다고 합니다. 예언자, 또는 신의 말씀을 전달하는 사람들은 더 이상 말을 듣지 못하였고, 신은 말씀을 멈추셨습니다. 정치적인 지도자들은 쓸모가 없 었습니다. 종교적인 지도자들 또한 부패하였고 더 잘 알아야 할 예언자의 아 들인 엘 또한 마찬가지였습니다. 저는 그의 신에 대한 강한 집념을 공유하지 는 않습니다. 그리고 그들은 사악함과 신에 대한 존경심의 부족으로 잘 알려 져 있습니다. 많은 것이 정신적인 성장과 발전의 최저점에 도달했었습니다.

And that brings us to the boy Samuel. Samuel was ministering to the Lord under Eli’s guidance, who nurtured him into the faith. One evening Samuel was “lying down in the temple of the Lord.” which many interpret to mean that he was sleeping, but so often in the Scriptures when God gives messages to people and it is reported that they are “sleeping,” it could be that they were simply “resting” as in a period of deep contemplative prayer, or “resting in God.” In this “resting,” Samuel hears a voice saying, “Samuel! Samuel!” Supposing that his mentor was calling him, he ran to Eli and said, “Here I am, for you called me.” But Eli replied, “I did not call you; go lie down again.” Apparently, Samuel had heard the voice correctly, but he did not know the source of the voice. Being untrained in how to listen for the word of God, he could hear but he could not understand. Twice more he heard the call “Samuel! Samuel!” running each time to Eli. Finally the prophet perceived that it was the Lord who was calling the boy, and he directed Samuel to respond the next time with, “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.”

그리고 이러한 것은 우리에게 어린 사무엘을 소개합니다. 사무엘은 신을 엘리의 지도을 받으며 섬기고 있었습니다. 엘리는 사무엘에게 신앙을 심어주며 키우고 있었습니다. 어느 날 저녁, 사무 엘은 예배당에 누워 있었습니다. 이러한 행동은 우리에게 그가 잠을 자고 있 었다고 해석될 수도 있습니다. 하지만 성서에는 자주 신이 인간에게 메시지 를 전달 할 때 그들은 잠을 자고 있다고 전해집니다. 그들이 쉬고 있다고 표 현 될 수도 있고 명상에 빠져 기도를 하고 있다고 말 할 수도 있으며 신의 품 에서 쉬고 있다고 표현 될 수도 있습니다. 이러한 휴식에서 사무엘은 이러한 목소리를 들었습니다. “사무엘아! 사무엘아!” 그래서 그의 스승인 엘리에게 로 뛰어가 “스승님의 부름을 받고 제가 이 자리에 왔습니다.” 라고 사무엘은 말을 했습니다. 하지만 엘리는 “나는 너를 부르지 않았다. 다시 가서 누워 라.” 라고 대답을 했습니다. 하지만 사무엘은 분명히 그 목소리를 들었지만, 그 목소리의 원천은 몰랐습니다. 신의 말씀에 어떻게 대응해야 할 지 올바르 게 배우지 못하여, 그는 이해하지는 못한 채 들을 수만 있었습니다. 그는 두 번 더 그 부름을 듣게 되었고, 그 때마다 엘리에게 달려 갔습니다. 엘리는 그 에게 “주님 말씀해 주십시오, 당신의 종이 듣고 있습니다” 라고 말을 하라고 가르쳤습니다.

The story tells us two things. First, it reminds us of the importance of discernment. Hearing “voices” or receiving a “vision” is always a tricky thing when it comes to interpreting it. I know when I tell people my vision I have many skeptics. They sometimes think, oh, this person sounds like a con artist or quack of some kind. I understand the skeptics. I know if God has not given you a vision or if you have not heard the voice of God talking to you directly, you have good reason to be skeptical. Well, for all those skeptics, you have one thing that might help you understand how God works. We have the bible, God’s word to guide us to understand the inner workings of God.

이 이야기는 우리에게 2가지 교훈을 말해줍 니다. 첫 번째로 식별력의 중요성을 상기 시켜줍니다. 목소리를 듣거나 환상 을 받게 되는 것은 언제나 어렵고 해석하는 것은 더더욱 어렵습니다. 저는 제 비전을 사람들에게 말을 할 때 많은 회의가 들게 됩니다. 그들은 종종 이 사 람은 거짓말쟁이 이거나 수다를 떨고 있다고 생각을 합니다. 저는 이해가 됩 니다. 만일 하나님이 당신에게 비전을 주지 않았거나 당신에게 직접 말씀을 하시는 것을 들은 경험이 없으시다면 저는 이해할 수 있습니다. 그렇게 된다 면 당신은 무신론자일 좋은 이유가 있습니다. 모든 누신론자들에게 하나님이 어떻게 역사 하는 지에 대한 이해를 돕는 방법이 있습니다. 우리에게는 성서 가 있고, 신의 내적인 사역들을 이해하는 것을 도울 하나님의 말씀이 있습니다.

I know there are many well-meaning Christians hungry for a profound spiritual experience and intimacy with God, hearing messages that they honestly believe is from God, and who once acting upon them, cause great damage to themselves, their families or to society at large. But I want to reassure you that if we make a mistake about our vision, you always have prayer as a means to understand your vision deeper. Prayer is a direct communication with God. If you have made a mistake, due to human understanding, then you will know it sooner or later.

세상에는 많은 기독교인 중, 종교적인 경험과 하나님과의 교제에 목 말라 있는 사람들이 많 습니다. 즉 하나님으로부터라고 믿고 있는 말씀을 듣는다든지, 말씀에 따라 행동함으로써, 그들에게 큰 상처의 원인이며, 그들의 가족과 크게는 사회에 서 받는 상처의 원인이 되기도 합니다. 하지만 저는 여러분들이 자신의 비전 에 대해 실수를 하셨다면 여러분은 항상 여러분의 기도에 의지하여 더 열심 히 기도하여 자신의 비전을 더 깊이 이해하실 수 있습니다. 기도는 하나님 과의 직접적인 대화를 할 수 있는 수단입니다. 만일 인간적인 이해로 해서 실수를 범하셨다면, 여러분은 언젠가는 그것을 알 수 있을 것입니다.

So in today’s lesson, let God’s word be your final guide. We have an example of God speaking to our prophet Samuel. The lesson we learn from Samuel is that when he heard a voice calling out to him, he had the presence of mind to check out his experience with a true guide, his elder mentor, the prophet Eli, who in his experienced wisdom could guide young Samuel into how to interpret the words he was hearing. So please, if you believe that you are hearing voices from God, you must—must—go to a wise spiritual leader who can help you discern if it is a word from the Lord, or your own psyche telling you things you really want to hear and to do and needing divine backing for. It is important to be transparent with each other to gain greater insights into how God can use you.

그래서 오늘의 본문 중에서, 하나님의 말씀이 여러분의 최종적인 지침이 되게 하십시오. 우리는 하나님께서 선지자 사무엘에게 말씀 하신 예가 있습니다. 사무엘의 예에서 배운 것은 그가 그를 부르는 소리를 들었을 때, 그는 그의 마음속에 그를 부르는 것이 진실인지 아닌지를 검토 하여야 했고, 그의 스승인 엘리 제사장이 이미 하나님의 부르심에 응답하는 지혜를 가지고 있어 사무엘에게 어떻게 신의 부름을 해석하는지에 대해서 가르칠 수 있었습니다. 그러니 만일 여러분이 하나님의 음성을 듣고 있다고 믿는다면, 당신은 꼭 영적으로 많은 지혜를 가지신 분을 찾아 그 부름이 하나 님으로부터 온 것이 맞는지 상담하시거나 여러분의 정신이 여러분이 정말 듣기를 원하는 것이나 하고 싶어하는 것, 필요한 것을 들었는지 상담하십시 오. 하나님이 당신을 어떤 용도로 쓰실 것인지에 대한 것과 신의 믿음을 얻기 위해서는 투명성이 매우 중요합니다.

Second, the biblical witness today tells us something about how God comes to us. Rarely is God revealed to us in dramatic ways, with thunderous pronouncements that are clear and obvious to us and everybody around us. Much more often, it is in the silence that God comes, in the stillness of the night when we have let go of the world and its falls trappings of money, sex and fame. The Scriptures contain many examples of this; in addition to the boy Samuel in today’s lesson, it is in the silence of the cloud that God comes to Moses in Exodus 24; it is in the “still small voice”—or as newer translations have it—“the sound of sheer silence” that God comes to Elijah in I Kings 19; it is in the cloud on the Mount of Transfiguration in Mark 9 that the voice of God says in effect to Jesus’ disciples to be quiet, for “This is my Son, my Beloved; listen to him!” As the poetry of Psalm 62 puts it: “For God alone my soul in silence waits; my hope is in him.”

두 번째로, 오늘의 본문 말씀의 증 언은 어떻게 하나님이 우리에게 다가오시는지를 가르쳐 줍니다. 하나님이 자 주 오지 않는다는 것은 극적으로 오신다는 의미이며, 우레 같은 선언은 우리 에게 명확하고 당연하게 들리며 우리 주위의 사람들에게도 당연한 것입니다. 더 더욱 자주, 주님은 우리에게 고요하게 다가오십니다, 밤의 침묵 속에, 세 상을 잊은 채 자는 동안, 돈은 단지 삶의 부속적인 액세서리에 불과하게 되고, 섹스와 명예 또한 그렇게 될 때 주님은 우리들에게 다가 오십니다. 많은 성경 구절들이 이러한 내용을 포함하고 있습니다; 소년기의 사무엘의 이야기가 현 재에 교훈이 됩니다. 고요한 구름을 타고 주님은 모세에게 왔다는 것을 출애 굽기24장에서 알 수 있습니다; 또한 조용하고 낮은 목소리 또는 현대의 표 현에 의하면, 아주 조용한 침묵 속에 하나님은 엘리야에게 나타나셨습니다. (열왕기상서 19장); 변화산으로 예수님은 3명의 제자를 데리고 올라가셨는 데, 구름 사이로 “조용히 하라” 라는 말을 들으셨습니다. 그리고 “이는 내가 사랑하는 아들이다, 그의 말을 들어라” 라고 말씀 하셨습니다. 시편 62편의 시에서는 “나의 영혼아 잠잠히 하나님만 바라라 대저 나의 소망이 저로 좇아 나는도다” 라는 글귀를 찾을 수 있습니다.

So, what does this mean for you? Are you waiting for God this morning? Are you longing for the pure loving and gracious presence that is waiting to be born in you? Perhaps you have found yourself feeling like Augustine when he prayed:
“O Lord my God, teach my heart where and how to seek You, where and how to find You. You are everywhere, so You must be here. You have created and re-created me, and all the good I have comes from You, and still I do not know You...Let me seek You by desiring You, and desire You by seeking You. Let me find You by loving You, and love You in finding You.”

그러면 이러한 내용들은 여 러분들께 어떻게 들리십니까? 오늘 아침에 하나님을 기다리셨습니까? 당신 은 순수한 사랑과 은혜로우신 주님의 임재하심이 여러분 스스로의 안에서 태 어나길 바랍니까? 아마도 당신은 오거스틴이 기도 중 느꼈던 감정을 발견했 는지 모릅니다. “주님, 제 마음 속에 주님을 어떻게 찾고 어디서 찾을지 가르 쳐 주소서. 당신께서는 어디에라도 계십니다. 그러니 여기에도 계심이 틀림 없습니다. 당신께서는 절 만드셨고 다시 또 재창조하셨습니다. 나의 모든 물 질도 하나님께로부터 왔으나 아직 주님을 알지 못하고 있습니다. 바람으로써 당신을 찾게 해 주소서. 바라기 때문에 찾게 해주십시오. 주님을 사랑하므로 써 찾게 해주시고 찾음으로써 사랑하게 해 주소서.”

If you are seeking God this morning, and you want to communicate with God at the deepest level, then know that the vehicle for establishing this close relationship with God is through silence. The basic language of God, is silence. Ironically, when you are praying to receive an answer from God- God’s silence is his answer. In another words, no answer is an answer from God. God wants you to have patience for whatever you are praying. God is stretching you to have more faith. Pray to experience the power of silence by waiting for his answer is one way to have more faith.
So turn away from this world and embrace the words of God found in the bible. The Word of God cannot be heard in the noisy world of today, any more than it could be heard in the noisy and wicked age referred to in today’s Old Testament lesson.

여러분이 만약 오늘 아침에 주님을 찾고 계셨다면, 그리고 주님과 깊은 대화를 하시길 원하신다면, 주님과의 깊은 관계를 형성하는 것은 오직 침묵으로만 가능하다 는 것을 아셔야 합니다. 주님과의 대화는 오직 침묵이라는 언어로만 이루어 집니다. 아이러니하게도 당신의 기도에 대한 답을 주님으로부터 얻고 싶으실 때는 주님은 오직 침묵으로만 답을 해주십니다. 다른 말로는 답이 없는 것이 주님으로부터의 답입니다. 하나님께서는 당신이 믿음으로 인내하며 기다려 주길 바랍니다. 기도에 대한 침묵의 힘을 느끼고 싶으시다면 더욱 믿음을 가 지는 것이 답입니다. 그러니 이 세상을 등지고 성서에 있는 주님의 뜻을 기꺼 이 받아들이시길 바랍니다. 주님의 말씀은 소음으로 가득한 세상에서는 들으 실 수가 없습니다. 또한 오늘의 구약성서의 사악한 시대에서도 들으실 수가 없습니다.

If you can build more silence into your daily living, you just might hear God calling you to do extraordinary things with your life. But you must know this…in this world the most devoted and compassionate Christians will be stretched beyond endurance.
Dear brothers and sisters in Christ, listen this is very important. Christians must rely on prayer. Prayer is our refuge during times of great stress. The legacy of our prayers might never be known but if you trust in the power of prayer it will unlock God’s power. Use the words of the bible to guide you when you pray. For instance if you want to pray about getting more wisdom, repeat the words of James 3:17-18. Say the word slowly, let the words sink in.

당신이 만약 당신의 일상생활에서 침묵하는 시간을 늘릴 수 있다면, 놀라운 일들을 삶 속에서 할 수 있도록 부르시는 주님의 음성을 들을 수도 있습니다. 하지만 이것만은 꼭 알아두셔야 합니다. 최고로 헌신적이고 열정적인 성도만이 인내 심의 한계를 넘어설 것 입니다. 형제 자매 여러분, 이 말씀을 듣는 것은 매우 중요합니다. 성도는 기도에 의존해야 합니다. 기도는 거대한 스트레스의 피 난처입니다. 우리의 기도의 유산은 절대 알 수 없을지도 모르 지만 기도의 힘을 믿으신다면 주님의 능력도 알아낼 수 있을 것입니다. 성경의 말씀들을 사용하여 기도하는데 사용하십시오. 예를 들어, 더 많은 지혜를 얻기 위한 기도를 원하신다면, 야고보 3:17-18을 사용하십시오. 말씀을 천천히 읽으시고 그 뜻을 음미 하십시오.

Pray reverentially. Pray humbly. Pray knelling. Pray with bowed head. Be open to experiencing power of God. Allow the presence of God to stir in your heart. Let the inner voice take over. Be quiet. Have assurance God will be with you.
Pray to be God’s mouthpiece. Stand up to God. Stand up for the truth, the only truth that exists in this world. Fight for Jesus. You are his soldier. He never leaves you alone...

기도는 경건하게 하십시오. 겸손하게 하십시오. 기도는 무릎을 꿇고 경외심을 가지고 하십시오. 하나님 의 능력을 체험할 수 있도록 마음을 열고 하십시오. 하나님의 임재가 당신의 마음을 움직일 수 있게 하십시오. 마음의 목소리가 당신의 정신을 지배하게 하십시오. 조용히 하십시오. 주님께서 여러분과 함께 하실 것을 확신 하십시 오. 주님의 대변인이 되도록 기도하십시오. 진실을 위해 하나님께 다가서고, 세상에 오직 하나밖에 없는 진실에 다가서십시오. 예수님을 위해 싸우십시오. 여러분은 그의 군사입니다. 그분께서는 여러분을 결코 혼자 놔두시지 않습니 다.

Whatever may happen next is up to God. If you have peace within your heart, the Holy Spirit is acting within you. God becomes real and personal. God is very close, a living God who could transform “the fatigue of despair into the buoyancy of hope” and who would never, ever, leave him alone.
God will be calling sooner or later-trust him. He will sustain us in every situation, and God is also calling you to listen to him. Let us now be silent for a minute before we continue with the service; I invite you in these moments of silence to open your heart and mind to God, so that you may hear. Amen.

다음에 무슨 일이 일어날지는 주님의 뜻이다. 당신의 마음에 평화가 있으면 성령은 당신과 함께 움직일 것이다. 주님의 존재는 현실화 되며 개인이 되실 것이다. “절망의 피로를 희망의 부력으로” 변환하실 수 있는 살아 계신 주님은
늘 가까이 계시며, 홀로 버려 두시지 않으신다.

하나님께서는 언젠가는 그 분을 믿으라고 부르실 것입니다. 어떠한 상황에 서라도 우리를 지켜주실 것이며, 말씀을 듣게 하기 위해서 당신을 부를 것 입니다. 이제 예배를 계속하기 전에 잠시 동안 침묵을 지키며 마음을 주님께 열도록 합시다. 그리하면 당신께서는 주님의 뜻을 들으실 수 있을 겁니다. 아멘