KCMUSA  

Sometimes before our sermon starts, I hear little whispers about someone thinking about getting married. The person looks so happy, excited and joyful. She says, I just met someone and we are going to get married at the end of the year” Sure enough, she married and we miss her very much.

가끔 설교 전 결혼에 대해 얘기하는 것을 듣습니다. 당사자는 매우 행복하고 기뻐 보입니다. “만났는지 얼마 안 되었지만 올해 말에 결혼합니다."라고 했던 말대로 그 자매님은 결혼했습니다. 그 자매님이 그립네요.

I reflect upon what it means to love someone. I ask myself what does the bible say about love? More importantly what does Jesus say about love? These questions and some more will be talked about today.

누군가를 사랑한다는 것이 무엇인지 생각해 봅니다. 성경에서 말하는 사랑은 무엇일까요? 예수님은 사랑에 대해 뭐라 말씀하셨나요? 오늘은 이 부분에 대해 얘기할까 합니다.

First of all, love from a biblical perspective, is embodied in the words of Jesus. Jesus is love.
First consideration: THE COMMAND TO LOVE

Have you noticed that in the Bible we are frequently commanded to love? Jesus says that love of God and of others is the greatest commandment. He even commands us to love our enemies.
Love is closely linked with action. It refers to a decision. Most often it refers to an activity, not a feeling at all. This is why when two people get married, the priest asks the couple do you want to marry so and so and they respond with “I do. In fact in Jesus’ own words for this evening tells us, “greater love has no one than he lay down his life for his friends.” That’s love in action, love as a self-sacrificial deed. There are of course lesser loves, but Jesus is not speaking of those in this text.

무엇보다 성경적인 관점에서 사랑은 예수님이 하신 말씀에 나와 있습니다. 예수님은 사랑이십니다.

첫 번째, 우리가 고려해야 할 것은 “사랑은 명령”입니다. 여러분은 성경에 자주 언급된 “사랑하라‘라는 명령을 보았을 것입니다. 예수님이 말씀하시기를 하나님을 사랑하고 이웃을 사랑하는 것이 가장 큰 계명이라고 말씀하십니다. 심지어 원수도 사랑하라고 하셨습니다.
사랑은 행동과 밀접한 연관성이 있습니다. 결정에 따른 것입니다. 그리고 행동으로 옮기는 것입니다. 감정이 아닙니다. 이것이 바로 두 사람이 결혼할 때 “결혼하기를 원하십니까?”라는 목사님의 질문에 “네”라고 대답하는 이유입니다. 사실 예수님이 하신 말씀을 보면 “친구를 위해 자신의 삶을 내려놓는 것 보다 더 큰 사랑은 없다”라고 하셨습니다. 이것이 행동이 뒷받침해주는 사랑이며 실로 희생적인 사랑입니다. 물론 시시한 사랑도 있습니다. 그러나 오늘 말씀에 예수님은 이런 사랑에 대해 언급하시지는 않으셨습니다.

Second Consideration: REAL LOVE, A GIFT FROM GOD

Real love is a gift from God. Paul puts it this way when he says that if anyone is in Christ “God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” (Rom. 5.5) So let us talk about God’s love for a moment.
God’s love is so amazing. He loves us when we are unlovely. God loves us whether we love God back or not. God’s love is unconditional, in the sense that it is given freely, and not because of anything we have said or done or felt. Indeed, God’s love is often given in spite of what we have said or done or felt. It is pure grace—God’s unmerited favor, God’s undeserved, unearned benefit freely and lavishly poured out by God into our lives. The key then is that for human beings to love as God and Jesus have commanded us, they must first be open to receiving that love from God. Paul says real loving starts when we are believing in Jesus Christ as Lord and receiving the gift of love by Holy Spirit.

두 번째, 우리가 고려해야 할 것은 “하나님의 은사인 진정한 사랑”입니다.
진정한 사랑은 하나님의 선물입니다. 바울은 그리스도 안에 있는 모든 자에게 “우리에게 주신 성령으로 말미암아 하나님의 사랑이 우리 마음에 부은바 됨이니.”라고 말씀하셨습니다. (롬5:5) 하나님의 사랑에 대해 잠시 얘기해 봅시다.
하나님의 사랑은 놀랍습니다. 하나님은 우리가 사랑스럽지 못할 때도 여전히 우리를 사랑하십니다. 하나님은 우리가 하나님의 사랑을 돌려주든 아니든 상관없이 저희들을 사랑하십니다. 하나님의 사랑은 조건이 없습니다. 우리의 말과 행위에 상관없이 값없이 주어진 것입니다. 아낌없이 주시는 하나님의 넘치고 과분한 은혜입니다. 하나님과 예수님이 우리에게 명하신 사랑을 하기 위해서 우리는 하나님의 사랑을 먼저 받아야 합니다. 바울은 진정한 사랑은 주님을 구주로 영접하고 성령의 열매인 사랑을 은사로 받는 그 순간부터 시작된다고 합니다.

So loving like God is possible when we have Jesus Christ in our hearts. You need blind faith that everything in the in the Bible is true. And that involves trust. And what a wonderful thing it is when you allow yourself to be transformed by God’s love with a mustard seed of trust. Then indeed you are capable of even truly and totally self-sacrificial love. You want proof? Here’s an example from Albrecht Dürer, the famous Renaissance painter.

우리 안에 주님이 있는 한 하나님처럼 사랑하는 것이 가능합니다. 여러분은 성경에 나오는 말씀이 모두 사실임을 믿는 참 믿음이 필요합니다. 이것이 신뢰와 연결됩니다. 놀라운 것은 여러분에게 겨자씨만한 믿음이 있을 때 하나님의 사랑에 의해 변화된다는 것입니다. 이때 여러분은 진정으로 희생적인 사랑을 할 수 있게 됩니다. 증거를 원하십니까? 여기에 바로 그 증거가 되는 유명한 르네상스 시대의 화가인 Albrecht Durer의 이야기가 있습니다.

I must tell you this ultimate love story, the story of Albrecht and Albert Dürer, two brothers who loved each other like Christ has taught us to do.

궁극적인 사랑 이야기를 해드리겠습니다. 이 이야기는 Albrecht와 그 동생 Albert Durer에 대한 이야기입니다. 두 사람은 예수님이 우리에게 말씀하신 것처럼 서로 사랑했습니다

Back in the fifteenth century, in a tiny village near Nuremberg, lived a family with eighteen children. Eighteen! In order merely to keep food on the table for this mob, the father, a goldsmith by profession, worked almost eighteen hours a day to make a living. The father had two older children, Albrecht and Albert, both had a dream. They both wanted to pursue their talent for art, but they knew full well that their father would never be financially able to send either of them to Nuremberg to study at the Academy. After many long discussions at night, the two boys finally worked out an agreement. They would toss a coin. The loser would go down into the nearby mines and, with his earnings, support his brother while he attended the academy. Then, when that brother who won the toss completed his studies, in four years, he would support the other brother at the academy, either with sales of his artwork or, if! necessary, also by laboring in the mines. They tossed a coin on a Sunday morning after church. Albrecht Dürer won the toss and went off to Nuremberg.

15세기에 Nuremberg 근처에 있는 조그마한 마을에 18명의 아이들이 있는 한 가족이 살았습니다. 이 많은 아이들의 배를 채우기 위해 아버지는 금세공 일을 하였습니다. 생계를 위해 하루에 거의 18시간을 일했습니다. 그에게는 같은 꿈을 가지고 있는 2명의 큰 아들이 있었습니다. 바로 Albrecht와 Albert입니다. 둘 다 예술에 대한 재능을 살리고 싶어 했으나 아버지 수입으로는 결코 Nuremberg에 있는 학교에서 공부할 수 없다는 것을 알았습니다. 그래서 어느 날 밤 오랜 토의 끝에 두 소년은 마침에 합의점을 찾았습니다. 동전을 던져서 지는 쪽이 이긴 쪽이 공부를 하는 동안 광산에서 일해서 경제적으로 지원해 주기로 했습니다. 그리고 먼저 공부를 한쪽이 나중에 반대편을 또 지원해 주는 것이었습니다. 만약 필요하다면 광산에서 일을 해서라도 학비를 조달해주는 것입니다. 두 소년은 일요일 아침 예배 후 동전을 던졌습니다. Albrecht Durer가 이겼고 먼저 Nuremberg로 떠났습니다.

Albert went down into the dangerous mines and, for the next four years, financed his brother, whose work at the academy was almost an immediate sensation. Albrecht’s etchings, his woodcuts, and his oils were far better than those of most of his professors, and by the time he graduated, he was beginning to earn considerable fees for his commissioned works. When the young artist returned to his village, the Dürer family held a festive dinner to celebrate Albrecht’s triumphant homecoming. After a long and memorable meal, Albrecht toasted his beloved brother for the years of sacrifice that had enabled Albrecht to fulfill his ambition. His closing words were, “And now, Albert, blessed brother of mine, now it is your turn. Now you can go to Nuremberg to pursue your dream, and I will take care of you.”

Albert는 위험한 광산에서 4년간 일해서 그 형이 학업을 마칠 수 있도록 경제적으로 지원해 주었습니다. Albrecht의 판화, 묵판화, 유화 작품들은 교수님들 보다 나았습니다. 졸업할 즈음에는 괜찮은 보수도 받게 되었습니다. 이 젊은 예술가가 고향으로 돌아왔을 때 Durer 가족은 Albrecht를 귀환을 축하하기 위해 축제의 저녁을 함께 했습니다. 오랜 식사 후 Albrecht는 그의 꿈을 성취할 수 있도록 4년간의 희생을 치룬 사랑하는 동생을 바라보며 “ 이제 나의 사랑하는 동생, Albert! 네 차례야! 이제 네가 Nuremberg에 가서 네 꿈을 이룰 때야. 내가 널 돌볼께” 라고 말했습니다.

All heads turned in eager expectation to Albert, tears streaming down his pale face, shaking his lowered head from side to side while he sobbed and repeated over and over, “No…no …no…no.” Finally, Albert rose and wiped the tears from his cheeks. He glanced at the faces he loved, and then, holding his hands close to his right cheek, he said softly, “No, brother. I cannot go to Nuremberg. It is too late for me. Look…look what four years in the mines have done to my hands! The bones in every finger have been smashed at least once, and lately I have been suffering from arthritis so badly in my right hand that I cannot even hold a glass to return your toast, much less draw with a pen or a brush. No, brother…for me it is too late.”

모든 사람들이 Albert를 응시했습니다. 그때 Albert의 창백한 얼굴에는 눈물이 흐르고 있었습니다. 그는 고개를 흔들며 “ 안돼, 안돼. 안돼.”를 반복했습니다. 마침 Albert는 뺨에 흐르는 눈물을 닦으며 고개를 들었습니다. 그는 사랑하는 형의 얼굴을 흘끔 보고는 그의 두 손을 자신의 오른 뺨에 갖다 대며 조용히 말했습니다. “안돼, 난 Nuremberg에 갈 수 없어. 너무 늦었어. 나를 보라구. 4년간 광산에서 일하는 동안 내 손이 어떻게 되었는지 봐. 적어도 한 번씩은 모든 마디의 뼈가 다 으스러지고 최근에는 오른손이 관절염으로 고생하고 있어. 심지어 이 컵을 형 쪽으로 옮기지도 못해. 훨씬 가벼운 펜이나 붓도 끌지 못하는데... 난 이미 너무 늦었어.”

More than 450 years have passed. By now, Albrecht Dürer’s hundreds of portraits, watercolors, woodcuts, and engravings hang in every great museum in the world, but the odds are great that you, like most people, are familiar with only one of Albrecht Dürer’s works. More than merely being familiar with it, you very well may have a reproduction hanging in your home or office. One day, to pay homage to Albert for all that he had sacrificed, Albrecht Dürer painstakingly drew his brother’s abused hands with palms together and thin fingers stretched skyward. He called his powerful drawing simply “Hands,” but the entire world almost immediately opened their hearts to his great masterpiece and renamed his tribute of love “The Praying Hands.” These were the hands of genuine, painful, suffering love, the same sort of hands we see on the Christ with arms outstretched to the world while on the cross and words saying “Father forgive them they know not what they do.”

450년이 지난 현재에도 Albercht Durer의 수 많은 자화상, 수채화, 목판화, 조각들은 세계의 유명한 박물관에 전시되어 있습니다. 대부분의 사람들은 적어도 그의 작품 중 하나는 알고 있습니다. 그냥 친숙한 정도 이상입니다. 여러분 집이나 사무실에 복사된 그의 작품이 있을 지도 모릅니다. 하루는 Albert의 희생을 기리기 위해 Albrecht Durer은 공들여 동생의 고생한 손바닥과 쭉 뻗은 삐쩍 마른 손가락을 함께 그렸습니다. 그는 이 작품에 단순히 “손”이라고 이름을 붙였습니다. 그러나 세계는 순식간에 이 걸작품에 매료되었고 그 사랑의 징표로 “댓가를 치른 손”이라는 이름을 지었습니다. 이 손이 바로 천재적이고 고통을 감내한 희생의 사랑, 즉 십자가에서 세상을 향해 양 팔을 펼친 예수님의 손과 동일한 것입니다. “아버지, 저들을 용서하십시오. 그들이 무엇을 하는지 알지 못합니다.”

You see, in the end biblical love is all about action, not talk. When it talks about love it’s all about self-sacrifice not self-aggrandizement or self-fulfillment. It is this sort of love which makes the world go round, and indeed makes life worth living. It is this sort of love which is both given and then commanded by God. And best of all, God long ago sent his one and only Son so that we might have love and have it in abundance. Jesus lived and died not merely to make real love possible, but to make it abundantly available to whosoever will believe on Him unto everlasting life. AMEN.

성경적인 사랑은 바로 이러한 행동입니다. 단지 말이 아닙니다. 사랑에 대해 얘기할 때 이것은 바로 희생을 말하는 것입니다. 부의 축적이나 자기 성취가 아닙니다. 이러한 사랑이 세상을 돌아가게 만들고 살 맛나게 합니다. 이 사랑은 하나님이 주셨고 명하신 사랑입니다. 무엇보다 하나님은 오래 전 그의 독생자 예수님을 보내셨고 그래서 우리는 지금 풍족하게 누리고 있는지 모릅니다. 예수님은 진정한 사랑을 가능하게 하신 것뿐만 아니라 그를 믿는 모든 이에게 영원한 삶을 가능케 하신 것입니다. 아멘