Ms. Gottfried Schmer    

When healing takes place, you never forget it. You remember the place and the person for the rest of your life. I know this since one sister last year healed me of my headaches when she prayed for me just before I was going to say a sermon. Today I am so thankful that she was able to discern my silent agony.

여러분의 병이 치유된다면, 여러분이 그 사실을 절대 잊을 수 없을 것입니다. 평생 동안 치유가 된 장소와 치유를 해주신 분을 기억하실 것입니다. 일 년전 제가 설교를 하 기직전까지 두통으로 힘들어 했을 때 저를 위해서 기도해주신 자매님을 기억합니다. 오늘 이 시간 저의 말할 수 없었던 고통을 인식하셨던 자매님에게 참으로 감사드립니다.

Maybe you are a little skeptical about this story of healing. Indeed, passages about healing are usually passed over as nice thoughts, though not worth putting into action. But we cannot read the New Testament without being struck by how central healing was to Jesus’ ministry. Nearly one-fifth of the gospel narratives are devoted to these accounts—something like 41-recorded healings.

아마 치유에 관한 이야기에 대해서 다소 회의적인 분들도 있을 것입니다. 사실, 치 유에 관한 본문은 보통 좋은 생각들로만 여겨질 뿐, 실제로 일어나는 일이 거의 없습니다. 하지만, 예수 님의 사역 속에서 치유의 사역이 얼마나 중요한지를 빼고는 신약성경말씀을 이야기 할 수 없습니다. 거 의 복음서의 회자들의 1/5 이 이러한 치유사건에 관한 것을 이야기하고 있습니다- 약 41 가지 정도의 치유사건에 대해서 말입니다.

For nearly 2,000 years, Jesus has been known as the Great Physician. Most of us, I suspect, are more inclined to think of Jesus as an ethical teacher, but the fact is, Jesus came not simply to offer new ideas but to give people access to a power that heals and saves. When people opened their lives to him and were touched by him, they came away stronger and more whole.

거의 2,000년 동안, 예수님은 위대한 치료자로 알려져 있습니다. 대부분 우리는 예수님을 윤리적인 선 생님으로 생각하는 경향이 있지만, 사실, 예수님께서는 새로운 사상을 주시려 오신 것이 아니라 우리들 에게 신유와 구원의 능력을 주시려고 오셨습니다. 우리가 우리의 삶을 예수님께 완전히 드리고, 예수님 께 안수 받을 때, 우리는 더욱 강해질 수가 있습니다.

My sense is that most of us really don’t know what to do with these odd accounts of lepers being cured and lame people walking. Don’t most of us often think of our body as something like a machine, something that our mind uses, gives instructions to, and expects to perform? And when it breaks down we call in the mechanic, the doctor, to do some technical work to get it going again. Medicine often appears to be a matter of drugs and surgeries, charts and graphs, with little attention to the patient’s emotional or spiritual well-being.

문둥병자가 낫고, 불구자가 걸었던 그 놀라운 사건이 무엇인지 대부분 우리는 제대로 알지 못하는 것 같습니다. 우리 대 부분은 우리의 신체가 기계와 같이, 우리 마음을 사용하고 지시를 하고 무엇인가 이루는 것을 생각하지 못한다면? 기계가 고장 나면, 기술자인 의사에게 다시 사용할 수 있도록 기계적인 치료를 합니다. 의약품은 종종 약품들, 수술, 차트, 그리고 그래프들로 나타나고, 아주 약간의 환자의 감정이나 영적인 부분을 돌봅니다.

Could it be possible that we have lost something essential to what healing is about? Of course, in our scientific age we see the healing work of God clearly in the analytical care that comes from the medical professions, the health work of scalpel, medication, and all the miracles of modern medicine. But there’s another dimension too. Think of the strange twists of health and illness that we notice around us.

이러한 치료가운데 무언가 중요한 것이 빠졌을 가능성이 있을 까요? 물론, 과학적인 시대에 살고 있는 우리는 하나님께서 전문적인 의학, 외과의, 그리고 모든 현대의 학의 기적으로부터 분명하게 치유해주시는 것을 알고 있습니다. 하지만, 또 다른 요소가 있습니다. 우리를 둘러싸고 있는 건강과 질병의 이상한 관계를 한번 알아봅시다.

A man who had dreaded retirement for years, who had nothing else in his life but his work, who was horrified at the thought of losing the one thing in his life that mattered, dies two months after his last day at work.

평생 일에 매달려서 일 외에는 삶의 가치를 찾지 못하고, 퇴직의 시간을 두려워하던 한 남자는 퇴직 후 두 달 만에 죽음을 맞이하였습니다.

A woman, hit by a vicious cancer, is given maybe six months to live. She is a person of deep faith, and with hope, love, and prayers from those around her, she refuses to believe it’s all over. Five years later she is going strong.

고통스러운 암에 걸려 생명이 6개월밖에 남지 않았다고 했지만, 깊은 신앙, 희망, 사랑 그리고 그녀를 위해 중보기도해주는 분들이 있었던 한 자매는 모든 것이 끝이 났다는 것을 받아들이지 않았고, 이후 5년 동안이나 건강하게 보냈습니다.

Pressure builds on a professional woman at work, and even more pressure at home. The hours are long. She eats too much; she’s smoking almost nonstop, until . . . a heart attack.

직장과 가정에서 계속된 압력으로 인해 시간이 지나면서 다른 자매는 너무 많이 먹고, 지속적으로 흡연을 하다가, 결국은 심장마비에 걸렸습니다.

A troubled mother takes her son with seriously defective eyesight in one eye to a healing service where a group prays for him. When they return to the doctor to make plans for surgery, the doctor is amazed to see that the problem has disappeared.

한쪽 눈에 심각한 시력 손상이 있는 아들을 데리고 치유모임에 참석하여 아들을 위해서 기도를 받고 그 어머니가 병원에서 수 술을 받기 위해 찾아갔을 때, 아들의 눈이 완전히 치유된 것에 놀랐습니다.

Of course, we know of many illnesses where there is no healing, but still the indications are everywhere that what goes on in us spiritually profoundly affects what becomes of us physically. And that is the conviction the scriptures show us time and again: body and spirit are one whole that cannot be separated.

물론, 모든 병이 치유되는 것은 아닙니다. 하지만, 영적인 무엇인가가 육체적인 것에 영향을 준다는 증거는 여러 곳에서 발견됩니다. 성경말씀은 우리에게 확실히 이것에 대해서 이야기합니다.: 신체와 영은 분리될 수 없는 하나입니다.

In today’s gospel, Jesus heals a paralyzed man when the man’s friends lower him down through the roof of a house to get him to Jesus. And then Jesus does two things. First, he tells the man his sins are forgiven, which is to say be begins by healing what is broken in his spirit, his distance from God. And then Jesus says, “Stand up, take your mat and go home,” and the man does just that. It’s really a double healing. Jesus cleanses the man’s spirit, as part of healing the man’s body. And then he gives him the hopeful expectation that God is holding him and at work in him.

오늘 말씀을 보면, 예수님께서는 예수님을 만나기 위해서 친구들이 지붕으 로 내려준 중풍환자를 고치십니다. 그리고 예수님께서는 두 가지를 하셨습니다. 첫번째, 중풍병자의 죄 가 사하여졌다고 말씀하셨습니다. 이것은 하나님으로부터 멀어져 있는 영적인 부분의 고침이었습니다. 그리고, 예수님께서 “ 일어나, 네 상을 가지고 걸어가라.” 라고 말씀하셨고, 그 중풍병자는 그렇게 되었 습니다. 이것은 실제로 두 가지의 고침입니다. 예수님께서는 육체의 치유의 한 부분으로 영적으로 깨끗 게 하셨고, 그리고 하나님께서 그를 붙잡아 역사하신다는 희망을 주었습니다.

Often in these healing stories, touch is involved. Jesus physically lays hands on someone, or lifts them up from the ground. Touch has a tremendous capacity to communicate care and strength. Flesh to flesh becomes a sacrament, the physical expression of healing power. That is why our Christian faith is an expression God’s love communicated through the physical touch. Healing takes place during alter calls. Hands are laid on people as someone prays for them, and those hands and that gathered community become channels of God’s healing love and energy. The bread and wine of the Eucharist are central channels of God’s love; in them we can touch and taste and feed physically on God’s love.

이런 치유스토리에는 안수가 있습니다. 예수님께서는 신체적으로 손을 대시고 일으켜 세웠습니다. 안수는 돌봄과 강함을 이루는 놀라운 능력입 니다. 육체가 육체로 감으로 성찬식은 치유능력의 신체적인 표현입니다. 기독교신앙은 하나님의 사랑을 서로 나타내는 것입니다. 손을 얻고 그들을 위해서 기도할 때 그것이 통로가 되어 하나님의 치유의 사 랑과 에너지가 됩니다. 성찬식의 빵과 포도주는 중요한 하나님의 사랑의 통로입니다. 성찬식을 통해 우 리는 하나님의 사랑을 느끼고 맛볼 수 있습니다.

Then there are all the ordinary ways. In hospitals, the healing touch of nurses is one of the profound ways God’s care comes through to us. I wonder how many of you have felt in a time of crisis the healing power that comes with the gift of bread, or when someone offers to pray with you, or hold your hand. That is the job of the Church—to be a healing community where people come to be touched by Christ’s love and from which they go out to be agents of Christ’s healing.

그리고 일상적인 생활 속에서도 발견됩니다. 병원에서 간호사의 치유의 손길은 우리 를 통한 하나님의 돌보심을 보여주는 것 중에 하나입니다. 저는 여러분께서 성찬식의 떡과 함께 오는 치유의 능력의 때를 얼마나 자주 느끼시는지 여러분을 위해 누가 기도를 하거나 여러분의 손을 잡아주 는지 궁금합니다. 이것이 교회에서 해야 할 일입니다.- 하나님의 사랑으로 만져지기 원하는 사람들을 위한 치유하는 공동체 그리고 하나님의 치유를 하는 대리자로써 나가는 우리들이 되어야 합니다

Of course, neither in Jesus’ time nor ours did prayers for healing always produce cures. There have been painful deaths in recent weeks and months. One of my students in Business class lost her mother. I could see the pain in his face even though he prayed for healing. But often the ravages of disease overwhelm even God’s will. Paul wrote repeatedly of his own ailment, the thorn in his side, that he was never freed from. Even those of deep faith sometimes do not get well; everyone finally dies.

물론, 예수님 시대에나 지금이나 모든 질병이 기 도로써 항상 치유되는 것은 아닙니다. 최근 몇 달 동안 견디기 힘든 부고들이 있었습니다. 저의 학생의 어머니가 돌아가셨습니다. 어머니를 치유해달라고 하는 기도를 하는 그 학생의 얼굴에서 고통을 볼 수 있었습니다. 하지만 어떤 일은 하나님의 의지이기에 우리가 어떻게 할 수 없는 부분이 있습니다. 사도 바울 역시 자신의 만성적인 질병으로 고통 받았으며, 결코 그것으로부터 자유롭지 못했습니다. 신앙이 아주 깊더라도 고통은 견디기가 아주 힘듭니다.: 우리 모두는 결국 죽음을 맞이합니다.

God does not promise us that there will always be a cure, but God does promise there can always be healing. Even as our bodies may succumb to disease, we can grow in trust and love, ready for the healing that finally awaits us beyond this life.

하나님께서는 항상 우리가 치유될 것 이라고 약속하지 않으셨지만, 치유는 언제든지 행해진다고 약속하셨습니다. 우리가 병을 극복함으로써, 신뢰와 사랑 속에서 성장하면 결국 삶을 이겨내는 치유의 준비가 됩니다.

A friend described to me his experience of visiting a man suffering through the advanced stages of leukemia. The man had been a lifelong stoic, refusing to face what was happening now and unwilling to talk about what he was going through with anyone. He and his wife had a formal, distanced relationship; neither could talk of the death that was drawing more and more near.

백혈병으로 고통 받고 있는 한 환자에 관한 이야기를 제 친구가 들려주었습니다. 그 형제 는 오랫동안 금욕적인 생활을 하고 있었으면, 자신에게 일어난 일에 직접 대면하기를 거절하고 누구와 도 이야기하기를 원하지 않았습니다. 그들 부부는 형식적인 관계로 더 이상 죽음에 대해서 서로 이야기 할 수 없었습니다.

Then one day while my friend was there, something happened. The wife for some reason reached down and touched her husband’s face, and then lay down beside him on the bed and held him. And he began to cry. He died soon after; there was no cure. But there was healing—healing for him, healing between him and his wife.

제 친구가 방문한 어느 날, 그 일이 일어났습니 다. 그 형제의 아내는 남편이 누워있는 침대로 가서 남편의 얼굴을 만지고 그를 안아주었습니다. 그러자 그 남편은 울기 시작했습니다. 얼마 후 그 남편은 회복되지 못하고 죽음을 맞이했습니다. 하지만, 그 부 부의 관계는 서로 치유가 되었습니다.

The promise of Christ is clear. If we seek healing, we will receive it. We will not always be cured. Not now; not in this life. But there can always be healing.

그리스도의 약속은 분명합니다. 우리가 치유를 구한다면, 우리는 치유받을 것입니다. 우리가 항상 고침을 받지는 못하고, 지금 현재 우리 삶 속에서 그렇지 못할 수도 있습니다. 하지만 치유는 되어집니다.

Healing is so marvelous, so unbelievably joyful. It is like playing a game and at the end of the competition you get a gold metal in the Olympics. When healing takes place, we can hardly believe it’s true, and we have to resist powerful voices of doubt within us and those around us when we witness to the healing power of Jesus Christ. When you pray with confidence, God’s power is unlocked. The best way I can describe healing is in this way: Heaven’s gate is unlocked, the gate is flung open and some divine power envelopes your whole being in one split moment. It is like bathed in a healing light. Pray that one day you will be able to touch someone in healing prayer. This kind of prayer is less ridiculous and far more useful than most other games we play.

치유는 기적 같은 일이라서 믿기 힘든 기쁨입니다. 마치 올림픽 게임에서 금메달을 획득하는 것 같습니다. 치유가 되면, 너무 믿기 어려워서 우리 마음속에 의심의 목소리가 들리 고, 예수 그리스도의 치유능력을 목격했을 때 우리안에서 그런 의심이 듭니다. 확신을 가지고 기도할 때 하나님의 능력이 펼쳐집니다. 치유됨을 설명할 수 있는 최고의 방법은 이것입니다. 하늘의 문은 열려 있습니다. 활짝 열려 있어 신성한 능력은 여러분이 입으로 말을 할 때 펼쳐집니다. 이것은 치유의 빛을 덧 입는 것과 같습니다. 언제가 신유의 기도를 할 수 있는 날을 위해서 기도하십시오. 어떤 것보다도 가 치있는 일이 될 것입니다.

These healing stories challenge us to stretch our faith, to pray through our timidity and our doubt, and to trust Jesus, the Great Physician, to be our help in time of need. If we do that, we will actually undergo the treatment Jesus offered time and again, so that we, and those we love, can be healed, and sometimes, by the grace of God, cured. Amen.

이러한 치유스토리는 우 리의 믿음을 확장시키게 하고 우리의 의심을 이기고 기도하게 하고 필요할 때에 위대한 치료자인 예수 님을 신뢰케 합니다. 우리가 그렇게 한다면, 예수님이 그때 하셨던 그런 치유를 경험할 수 있을 것입니 다. 그리고 우리는 하나님의 은혜로 인해 치유 받을 것입니다. 아멘