Brett Blair and Staff  

Have you ever tried to make a prediction? Here are some predictions from the past. All from people who were trusted individuals:

Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, in 1943 said, "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

Popular Mechanics magazine in 1949 made this prediction: "Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equipped with 18,000 vacuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and weigh only 1.5 tons."

There was an inventor by the name of Lee DeForest. He claimed that "While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially it is an impossibility."

The Decca Recording Co. made a big mistake when they made this prediction: "We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." That was their prediction in 1962 concerning a few lads form Liverpool. Their band was called the Beatles.

As the disciples walked out of the Temple in Jerusalem Jesus paused, looked back at the Temple and predicted, "Do you see all these great buildings. Not one stone will be left on another." To the disciples this was bedrock. Nothing could bring down these walls. "Look, teacher! What massive stones! What magnificent buildings!" they said to Jesus.

The smallest stones in the structure weighed 2 to 3 tons. Many of them weighed 50 tons. The largest existing stone, part of the Wailing Wall, is 12 meters in length and 3 meters high, and it weighs hundreds of tons! The stones were so immense that neither mortar nor any other binding material was used between the stones. Their stability was attained by the great weight of the stones. The walls towered over Jerusalem, over 400 feet in one area. Inside the four walls was 45 acres of bedrock mountain shaved flat and during Jesus' day a quarter of a million people could fit comfortably within the structure. No sports structure in America today comes close.

You can then understand the disciples’ surprise. As they walked down the Kidron Valley and up Mount Olive Peter, James, and John wanted to hear more. Jesus' prediction that a structure so immense would be leveled to the ground seemed implausible. But they pressed Jesus for more information. They wanted to know when. What would be the sign that this was about to take place? In their voice was fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear that their lives were about to change forever. Jesus had not made any predictions like this one. This was different. This, they could understand.

Forty years later the prediction came true. In 70 AD the Temple was destroyed by Rome. What are we to learn from this prediction and its fulfillment? We learn what true real bedrock faith is all about. The kind of faith you can stand on, build on.

I

First of all, bedrock of faith is not in Temples. Try to place yourself in first century Jerusalem. From anywhere in the city you can look up and catch a glimpse of the Temple. The 45-year project of King Herod was the third such Temple. It had been the center of their national life for a thousand years. In the Temple the Jews sacrificed. Confessed their Sins. Gave their first fruits of the harvest. Yearly sacrificed a lamb for the nations’ sins. It was here that Passover, Pentecost, Day of Atonement, Feasts of Tabernacles, and Feast of Weeks was celebrated.

With the Temple so central to their life and worship this major question then arises: How would they worship God without the Temple? It was a question for which the Disciples had no answer. We understandably get tied to things. We can even develop sentimental attachments to them. But the Temple was unique. God himself is said in Deuteronomy to be the architect giving the exact dimension of the Altar, the grounds, the Walls, the doors, down to the very size of the stones. This was God’s building.

Did you know that the Christians continued to make sacrifices at the temple after Jesus death? Paul even makes an offering (Acts 21). It is the place where John’s birth was announced, Jesus’ preeminence was recognized by Simeon and Anna, Jesus’ religious intelligence was recognized by the leaders at age 12, and where the money changers were driven out years later. It was here that Paul was arrested.

With the Temple so central to life how would they worship God without it? I like the story told about Joseph Haydn (1732-1809) in his later years. On a special evening at the Vienna Music Hall his oratorio “The Creation” was being performed. As the majestic work moved along, the audience was caught up with tremendous emotion. When the passage "And there was light!" was reached, the chorus and orchestra burst forth in such power that the crowd could no longer restrain its enthusiasm.

The vast assembly rose spontaneous applause in the middle of the peace. Haydn weakened by age and confined to a wheelchair struggled to stand and motioned for silence. With his hand pointed toward heaven, he said, "No, no, not from me, but from thence comes all!" Having given the glory and praise to the Creator, he fell back into his chair exhausted.

Perhaps that is the lesson Jesus would have the disciples learn. Haydn directed the crowds attention away from his talents to God’s, away from the beautiful music to a majestic God. Whether a great oratorio or a Temple devoted to God, neither deserves our devotion, only the One from thence comes all!

II

First of all bedrock faith is not found in Temples, places of worship. And secondly, bedrock faith is not found in signs. Tell us, the disciples insisted, when will these things happen? And what will be the sign that they all are about to be fulfilled?

A preacher was recently talking for an hour about his new book that supposedly explained everything we needed to know about the coming of Jesus and the end of time. "You must have this book," he said over and over again, a telephone number (not even toll-free) constantly flashing at the bottom of the TV screen. Seems that he had prophetic insight into world events, and for a mere $14.95 we could have the benefit of his wisdom. It was inferred that we would not survive the coming terrors unless we had t his book. A certain pastor called the number and suggested to the poor operator that if this preacher really thought this was so vital to the survival of the planet, and that the end was so near, he would be giving the book away! I mean; he won't need the money, right? It's all coming to an end anyway. Who needs a bank account? True, it costs money to print, but he will not have to pay for it if it goes as he says. The woman on the other end of the line was not amused. "Sorry, sir," she said, "but I don't know much about theology," to which the pastor responded, "Neither does the writer of the book you're selling."

It is the greatest of all biblical mysteries. 23 of the 27 New Testament books claim that Christ will one day return but we have no indication of when or what will usher it in. The problem with predicting the Second Coming is that most predictions center on world events. Let me let you in on a little secret. World events are not indicators of End Times. Wars, earthquakes, international political instability, famine, persecution…these, says Jesus, are not a sign of the end they are simply facts of life from the beginning. Verse 7 reads: Do not be alarmed these things must happen; the end is still to come.

Listen to me…I can’t tell you when but I can tell you why--to redeem this planet and you and me with it. My friend, if you don’t live with the expectation that he will one day return you’ve missed one of the bedrock teachings of Jesus’ life. It ought to be part of your life. It will make you watchful, cautious, and prepared.

II

The bedrock of faith is not in Temples or Signs. The bedrock of is in Christ. Several years ago, Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks did a comedy skit called the "2013 Year Old Man". In the skit, Reiner is a TV interviewer and Brooks is the old Jewish gentleman. At one point, Reiner asks the old man, "Did you always believe in the Lord?"

Brooks replied: "No. We had a guy in our village named Phil, and for a time we worshiped him."

Reiner: You worshiped a guy named Phil? Why?

Brooks: Because he was big, and mean, and he could break you in two with his bare hands!

Reiner: Did you have prayers?

Brooks: Yes, would you like to hear one? O Phil, please don't be mean, and hurt us, or break us in two with your bare hands.

Reiner: So when did you start worshiping the Lord?

Brooks: Well, one day a big thunderstorm came up, and a lightning bolt hit Phil. We gathered around and saw that he was dead. Then we said to one another, "There's somthin' bigger than Phil!"

The disciples are told in verse 5: “Watch out, that no one deceives you. Many will come in my name claiming, “I am he,’ and will deceive many.” My friends there are a lot of false messiahs out there claiming to have the answers, deranged people trying to be world leaders. They manipulate and lie, recruiting people to kill in God’s name. They go by many labels. We call them terrorist. But I am here to tell you there’s something bigger than Phil.

History will sweep these people under the rug. And there will be others. But one day Phil is going to get his. Christ will return. And we all will stand, not in the bedrock of a Temple made with human hands which is here today and gone tomorrow. No! We will take our stand with Christ, the bedrock of our faith. Amen.