MS. Gottfried Schmer  2007.05.01 조회 : 89  

Reconciling Faith and Doubt (믿음과 의심의 중재) / John 14:1-11

The following weeks of Easter are sermons filled with lots of joy. We spend an entire month celebrating God’s victory over sin and death. There is meant to be a bright, festival feeling to everything we do in four weeks following Easter. So much in this season seems clear and confident. Christ is risen, we have a Good Shepherd, God is actively part of history. It is very clear as can be.

부활절 뒤부터 우리는 충만한 기쁨을 누리고 있습니다. 죄와 사망을 이기신 하나님의 승리를 축하하며 남은 달을 보내게 됩니다. 부활절 후의 4주간 우리가 축제를 만끽하게 되는 걸 뜻하기 도 하죠. 이 기간에 분명하고 확실한 것이 있는데 바로 그리스도께서 살아나셨고 그 분은 우리의 선한 목자라는 것입니다. 하나님은 역사의 일부분이십니다. 아주 분명한 사실이죠.

And yet, the faith most of us live with is embroiled with questions and confusion. The faith we proclaim here on Sunday often sounds so certain, but the way we believe it and live it can often seem fragile. Listen to a letter received by Philip Yancey, author of a book called Reaching for the Invisible God.

하지만 우리의 믿음은 연약하여 여러 의문과 혼란에 휩싸이기도 합니 다. 매 주일, 우리는 믿음으로 선포하고 나아가지만 우리가 믿는 방식이나 살아가는 방식은 연약한 모습 이기도 합니다. “보이지 않는 하나님께 나아가기”라는 책에 수록된 필립 얀시가 받았던 편지 내용을 한 번 보겠습니다.

Dear Sir:
I know there is a God: … I just don’t know what to believe of Him. What do I expect from this God? Does He intervene upon request (often/seldom)? … I accept that I’m an immature believer: that my expectations of God are obviously not realistic. I guess I’ve been disappointed enough times that I simply pray for less and less in order not to be disappointed over and over.

친애하는 선생님께
저는 하나님이 계신다는 건 압니다. … 저는 단지 그 분을 어떻게 믿어드려야 할지 모르겠습니다. 전 하 나님께 무엇을 기대해야 하는거죠? 하나님은 우리의 간구에 종종 개입하시나요? 아니면 좀처럼 개입하지 않으시나요? 저도 제가 성숙하지 못한 신자라는 걸 압니다. 제가 하나님께 기대하고 있는 것이 현실적이 지 못하다는 것도요. 전 너무 많이 실망해 버려서 이제는 더 이상 실망하고 싶지 않아 기도를 덜 하게 되었어요.

Yancey has received dozens of letters such as this one, and I was struck by how much it is similar in Korea. People come to church with some faith, or some hope of finding faith, but they are often confused. How does this faith actually work? What can I expect from God? As another letter-writer puts it, “How can I say I have faith in God when I constantly wonder if He is really there?”

얀시는 이와 같은 편지를 수십 통씩 받았습니다. 저는 이런 현상이 한국에서도 일 어나고 있음에 놀랐습니다. 사람들은 믿음을 간구하며 교회에 오지만 이내 혼란가운데 빠지게 됩니다. 믿음이 어떻게 실질적으로 일한단 말인가? 나는 하나님께 무엇을 기대할 수 있는가?

We talk so much in church about trusting God, about following Christ, that sometimes it’s good to remind ourselves how mysterious and elusive this life of faith often is.
Even for the so-called experts, faith can be frustrating. Listen to this prayer written by one of the great theologians of the twentieth century, Karl Barth:

우리는 교회 안에서 주님을 따르고 하 나님을 신뢰하는 것에 대해 많이 얘기를 해왔습니다. 신앙의 선배들도 때론 좌절할 수 있다는 것을,, 신앙생활의 난이함을 생각해 볼 필요가 있습니다. 20세기의 위대한 신학자였던 칼 베스의 기도문을 한번 보겠습니다.

Praying with faith is mysterious. When I pray, it’s as if my words disappear down some deep, dark well, from which no echo ever comes back to reassure me that they have struck the ground of Your heart.

믿음을 갖고 기도한다는 것 자체가 미스터리입니다. 제가 기도할 때 제 모든 말이 깊고 어두운 곳으로 빠져 들어가는 것과 같습니다. 마치 메아리조차 울리지 않는 곳으로 말입니다. 그러나 그것은 또한 그 말들이 당신의 마음의 땅을 치고 있음을 재확인시켜주기도 합니다.

Jesus had to battle the little faith of his apostles many times during his ministry. Just before he was arrested his words are full of reassurance. “In my Father’s house are many rooms,” he said in the gospel last week. “I go to prepare a place for you.” And in today’s gospel: “I will not leave you orphaned… In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me.” Orphaned—that’s what they are going to feel like, as if their parents have left them. As if they are all alone with this fragile faith.

예수님은 제자들의 연약한 믿음을 위해 그 분의 사역속에서 고투 하셔야 했습니다. 예수님이 잡히시기 전 그분의 말씀은 확신에 차 있었습니다. “내 아버지 집에는 방이 많다.”라고 말씀하셨습니다. “내가 너희를 위해 그 장소를 예비하러 간다.” 이 구절은 저번 주 본문말씀 에 해당합니다. 이번 주에 이어서 보면 “나는 너희를 고아처럼 버려두지 아니하고 ,, 조금 있으면 세상이 나를 보지 못할 것이다. 그러나 너희는 나를 보게 될 것이다.” 고아,, 바로 우리가 느끼고 있는 것입니 다. 마치 부모가 자식을 버린 것처럼. 연약한 믿음만 가진 채 혼자 버려진 것처럼,,

Faith for the disciples was difficult to grasp, it was neither consistent, clear experience of God or Jesus. They kept misunderstanding Jesus, misinterpreting Jesus’ teachings, panicking when things went wrong when he was arrested. And after Easter the Risen Lord was even more confusing. He’s there and then he’s gone. Some see him, some don’t. Even those who do see him often don’t recognize him.

제자들에게 있어 믿음은 손에 쥐기 힘든 것이었 습니다. 하나님과의 지속적이고도 분명한 경험과도 거리가 먼 것이었습니다. 그들은 계속해서 예수님을 오해하고 예수님께서 잡히시자 거의 공포에 질려 있었습니다. 부활하신 예수님을 만난 그들은 더 혼란 가운데 빠지기도 했습니다. 예수님은 거기 계시다가 사라지셨습니다. 어떤 사람은 그를 보고 어떤 사람 은 보지 못했습니다. 심지어 예수님을 본 사람조차도 예수님인 것을 알아채지 못했습니다.

In fact the whole Bible is filled with the tension between faith and doubt. About one third of the hundred and fifty Psalms are about joyful trust in God. More than half are about darkness and struggle and wondering where God is. One begins, “My God, my God why have you forsaken me?” Another with, “Out of the depths have I cried to you.” The Book of Job is one long struggle to understand God’s seeming absence and unfairness.

사실 성경의 모든 내용이 믿 음과 의심 사이의 긴장감으로 가득 채워져 있습니다. 150편의 시편의 삼분의 일이 하나님 안에서 기뻐 하는 믿음에 관한 이야기입니다. 절반 이상이 하나님이 어디 계신지에 대한 질문과 번뇌를 다루고 있습 니다. 어떤 시는 이렇게 시작합니다. “ 나의 하나님이여, 나의 하나님이시여 왜 나를! 버리셨나이까?” 다른 시는 “깊은 곳에서 내가 주께 부르짖나이다.” 욥기는 하나님이 계시지 않은 것 같고 불공정하신 것 같은 상황을 이해하려는 긴 몸부림을 잘 묘사하고 있습니다.

“Truly you are a God who hides himself,” the prophet Isaiah says. Somehow that seems to be an essential part of God’s way with us. Many great theologians such as John Wesley and Martin Luther both wrote of the times when their faith seemed to collapse.

“주께서는 참으로 숨 어계신 하나님이십니다.”라고 이사야는 말합니다. 어쨌든 간에 이것은 하나님의 방법 중 본질이 되는 요 소인 것처럼 보입니다. 존 웨슬리나 마틴 루터와 같은 많은 위대한 신학자들은 그들의 신앙이 무너져 내 리는 것과 같은 시간을 거쳤다고 기록하고 있습니다.
The Risen Lord we Christians follow is an elusive Lord. God refuses to be managed, to show up on command. The Holy One has an immense stake in our growth, our learning to live and to love, and that calls for God’s standing back and creating space for us to live and choose. God works slowly, quietly, usually in unnoticeable ways. And when God speaks it is usually in hints and whispers that we can easily miss.

우리가 따르는 부활하신 주님은 오묘하신 하나님입니다. 하나님은 명령 한마디에 나타나 주신다거나 우리가 감당할 수 있는 상대가 되어주시길 거절하십니다. 거룩하신 하나님은 우리의 성장과 삶과 사랑에 있어 거대한 부분을 차지하고 계시며 우리 뒤에서 우리가 선택할 수 있는 공간을 허락해 주시는 분입니다. 하나님은 천천히 그리고 조용히 눈에 띄지 않게 일하 십니다. 하나님이 말씀하셔도 우리가 듣지 못하는 이유는 그 분의 음성이 쉽게 알아채기 힘든 속삭임과 같기 때문입니다.

God gives us just enough to seek him and never enough fully to find him. To do more would inhibit our freedom, and our freedom is very dear to God. In fact we need our doubts and questions. That’s what makes our faith grow. It’s also what keeps our faith from becoming destructive. One of the great dangers in our world is when religious faith does not permit doubt and questioning. The result can be authoritarianism, fanaticism, and even violence. We are seeing in the news every day the destructiveness of those who believe they are in possession of all truth. They lose the awareness that God’s ways are ! not our ways. That God is first and last a mystery of love beyond our comprehension. That the God we meet in Jesus Christ can’t be put in a box. God cannot be manipulated. When the mystery fades, so does real faith. At times God comes to us with great clarity and passion, but God also calls us to walk by faith, to trust in a mystery we can’t fully comprehend.

하나님은 우리가 충분히 찾을 수 있을 만큼 계시면서도 또한 절대로 완전히 우리가 그분을 다 찾을 수 있을 만큼 허락하지도 않으십니다. 좀더 하고 자 하는 것은 우리의 자유를 누르고 우리의 자유는 하나님께 있어 아주 소중한 것입니다. 사실, 우리에 게 있어 의심과 의문은 필요합니다. 이를 통해 우리의 믿음은 자라나게 됩니다. 이를 통해 우리 믿음이 무너져 내리는 것을 막기도 합니다. 가장 위험한 것 중 하나가 종교적인 믿음이 의문과 의심을 용납하지 않는 것입니다. 이로 인해 권위주의 및 광신주의 심지어 폭력까지 낳게 되는 것입니다. 모든 신앙을 다 가졌다고 얘기하는 사람들이 파괴행위를 하는 것을 목격하기도 합니다. 그들은 하나님의 방법이 사람의 것과 다르다는 것을 인식하지 못하는 자들입니다. 하나님은 우리의 이해를 넘어서는 신묘한 사랑의 처음 과 나중이십니다. 예수님을 통해 만난 우리 하나님은 상자 안에 집어넣을 수 있는 정도의 하나님이 아닙 니다. 하나님을 조종할 수 없습니다. 신비로움이 사라져 버리게 된다면 실질적인 믿음도 사라지게 될 것 입니다. 하나님은 확실함과 열정 가운데 그 분을 따르도록 우리를 부르기도 하지만 때로는 우리가 이해 할 수 없는 신비로운 상황가운데 그분을 신뢰하며 믿음으로 동행하라고 부르고 계시기도 합니다.

And here’s a surprise: it’s often in the dark places, the places that seem farthest from God, the cancer, the death, the break-up, the terrible mistake—it’s often there that we experience God holding us. Sometimes we can’t even realize it at the time. But looking back later we see that there and then we were on holy ground.

여기에 놀라운 사실이 하나 있습니다. 어둠 가운데 있을 때 하나님이 너무 멀리 계신 것 같을 때, 즉 암에 걸렸거나 사랑하는 사람을 잃었거나 헤어졌거나 곤경에 처해 있을 때 그 때 우리는 하나님께서 우리는 붙들고 계심을 경험하게 됩니다. 그때는 그 사실을 몰랐 다 할지라도 뒤돌아보면 그때 우리는 이미 거룩한 땅에 서 있었음을 깨닫게 됩니다.

God does not save us from the dark. But God goes with us into the dark, even if at the time we are not clearly aware of it. Our budding faith says that this elusive Lord is always with us, but we have to acquire new ways of seeing. How does this happen? Here’s how.
I was sitting with a couple once ready to split up. After months of bickering, there was nothing left to say. All the wrongs, all the hurt, all the mistakes on both sides were out, lying on the floor all around them. And she, and he, and I sat silently. For a long time. They knew then that the only way ahead was to start again to face what had happened, to forgive, to begin the healing process again. Would they say yes or no to continue their marriage? You could sense Christ’s presence in the room when they reconciled.

한번은 이혼할 위기에 처한 부부와 면담한 적 이 있습니다. 몇 달에 걸친 다툼 끝에 그 둘은 서로에게 할 말조차 남아있지 않은 상태였습니다. 그 둘 주변엔 상처, 잘못, 실수 들이 놓여져 있었습니다. 우리 셋은 침묵을 지키고 있었습니다. 한참이 지난 후 에 그 둘은 이미 일어난 일을 인정하고 서로 용서하고 관계를 회복하는 일이 그들이 해야 할 일임을 받 아들이게 되었습니다. 결국 그들의 결혼생활은 어떻게 되었냐고요? 그 두 사람이 서로 화해했던 그 방은 하나님의 임재로 가득했었답니다.

I was in a hospital room another time, as a woman was dying. It had all happened so fast it took our breath away. Her family was still stunned. There had been plenty of anger at God and everyone else too. But there at the end there was a peace, a presence, a sense that some holy presence was holding her and weeping with her. We glimpse the wonders of God’s world when we sing songs that touch our hearts. After a few seconds, the words grip us. The music envelops our hearts. We experience the deep of love of our Lord Jesus Christ. We can actually experience the love of Jesus Christ with the way the melodi! es are played. Oh, what unexpected joy!! Then we know God is close.

한번은 한 자매가 죽어가던 병실에서 그 자리를 함 께 한 적이 있습니다. 너무나 빠르게 상황이 돌아가고 있었고 숨돌릴 틈조차 없었습니다. 그 자매의 가 족은 무척 놀란 상태였습니다. 하나님을 향한 원망이 뒤섞여 있었고 그곳에 있는 다른 사람들도 마찬가 지였습니다. 그러나 결국에는 평화로운 하나님의 임재하심을 그곳에서 느낄 수 있었고 하나님께서 그 자 매를 붙들고 계시며 함께 울고 계시는 것을 모두 느낄 수 있었습니다. 마음을 울리는 찬양을 드렸을 때 하나님 나라의 경이로움을 맛볼 수 있었습니다. 몇 초 후에 우리는 아무 말도 할 수 없었습니다. 그 찬 양은 우리 마음을 감쌌습니다. 우리는 예수님의 깊은 사랑을 경험했습니다.. 얼마나 감격스러웠던지 그때 우리는 하나님께서 가까이 계심을 알 수 있었습니다.

Those moments are not rare after all. There, in the midst of the events of our days, is this elusive Lord. Don’t you sometimes sense Christ here in the Sunday worship? Aren’t there times when a glimpse of peace descends on you, even if only for a moment?
In fact, Jesus promises his disciples that no matter how orphaned they may feel, he will always be with them. “I am coming to you,” he says. “…because I live, you also will live … I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.” You see, so often it is hard to sense Christ “out there,” as one more object in the world, because Christ is actually in here, in you and me (in our hearts). We are in Christ as Christ is in us.

이런 경우는 드문 상황은 아닙니다. 우리 삶 속에서 오묘하신 주 님이 계십니다. 때로는 주일 예배 때에 예수님을 느끼지 않으십니까? 잠깐이라도 여러분에게 찾아오는 평안을 맛보신 적은 없나요? 사실, 예수님은 제자들에게 그들이 고아처럼 느껴질지라도 항상 그들과 함 께 계시겠다고 약속하셨습니다. “내가 너희에게 오리라”라고 말씀하십니다. “내가 네 안에 있고 네가 내 안에 있으며 내가 살기에 너 또한 살리라”라고 말씀하십니다. 세상의 다른 개체로서 하나님을 거기 계신 다고 인식하며 살기란 어렵습니다. 왜냐하면 예수님은 사실 여기 계시며 바로 여러분과 제 안에 계시기 때문입니다. 우리가 주님 안에 주님이 우리 안에 계십니다.

Well, given how mysterious this God is, how confusing it can be to trust when things are hard, I want to offer, some suggestions for tracking this elusive Lord.
First, don’t try to do it alone. Because all of us doubt and struggle with God’s absence some of the time, we need each other’s support and help on the journey, especially when the going gets tough. I need your faith to carry me sometimes, and sometimes you need mine.
Second, allow the good in your life to penetrate deeply up to the depth of your soul. No matter how hard any day or time is, God is giving us so much to be grateful every day. Hold on to that when God seems far away. Relish it. Say thank you for it.

하나님이 얼마나 신비로운 분이시며 때 로는 신앙생활에 있어 얼마나 혼란스러! 운 일이 많은 지를 생각할 때 저는 이런 주님을 따르기 위해 다 음과 같은 제안을 여러분에게 하고자 합니다. 첫째, 혼자서 신앙생활 하지 마십시오. 우리모두다 하나님 의 임재를 느끼지 못하는 시간을 거치게 되고 의심하며 힘들어할 때가 있으므로 서로 서로 의지하며 도 와야 합니다. 특히 상황이 힘든 때일수록 더더욱 말입니다. 저는 때론 사역하면서 여러분의 도움이 필요 하구요 여러분도 제 도움이 필요할 것입니다. 둘째, 항상 삶 속에서 선을 베풀며 영혼의 깊이까지 그 선 함이 전달되도록 하십시오. 아무리 힘든 시간을 보내고 있다 할지라도 하나님은 우리에게 매일 매일 감 사의 제목을 주시는 분이십니다. 하나님이 멀리 계시다고 느낄 때에 더더욱 하나님을 꼭 붙드십시오. 삶 가운데 기뻐하며 고난가운데 감사하십시오.

Third, find something that allows you to feel God’s pleasure. You remember the sprinter Eric Liddell in the film Chariots of Fire, who told his sister, “God made me fast. And when I run, I feel his pleasure.” What makes you feel God’s pleasure? Hold on to that.
Fourth, create time daily to be still, to be open to God’s will to glorify his name alone.

셋째, 하나님의 기쁨을 만끽할 만 것을 찾으십시오. “불의 전차”라는 영화에 나오는 에릭 리들이라는 달 리기 선수를 기억하십니까? 그의 여동생에게 그가 이렇게 말하는 장면이 나옵니다. “하나님은 내가 빨리 달릴 수 있도록 창조하셨어. 난 내가 달릴 때 그분이 기뻐하시는 것을 느낄 수 있어.” 어떤 일을 할 때 여러분은 하나님의 기쁨을 느낄 수 있습니까? 그것을 잡으십시오. 넷째로, 하나님 앞에서 마음을 열고 잠잠히 머무는 시간을 매일 가지십시오. 그리고 그분의 음성에 귀를 기울이십시오.

And finally, keep looking for Jesus where he said we’d find him. In the scriptures, with friends when we have fellowship together.
“I will not leave you orphaned,” Jesus says. He comes to be with us, but it will always be in ways that are surprising, unpredictable, unmanageable. Just what you would expect from this mysterious, elusive Lord. Amen.

끝으로, 예수님께서 말씀하시는 곳에서 그분을 찾기를 멈추지 마십 시오. 성경에 두 세람이 모인 곳에 주님도 함께 계신다고 하셨습니다. 예수님은 “내가 너희를 고아와 같이 버려두지 않겠다”라고 말씀하십니다. 예수님은 우리와 함께 계시려고 이 땅에 오셨습니다. 하지만 그 방법은 우리가 상상할 수 없고 예측할 수도 없으며 신비로운 주님으로부터 우리가 기대하는 것 그 자 체입니다. 아멘.