Carrying the Cross Mark 8:27-38  (십자기 지기)

27 Jesus and his disciples went on to the villages around Caesarea Philippi. On the way he asked them, "Who do people say I am?" 28 They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets." 29 "But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?" Peter answered, "You are the Christ." 30 Jesus warned them not to tell anyone about him. 31 He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again. 32 He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. 33 But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. "Get behind me, Satan!" he said. "You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." 34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 35 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. 36 What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? 37 Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? 38 If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels. – Mark 8: 27-38

27예수와 제자들이 가이사랴 빌립보 여러 마을로 나가실쌔 노중에서 제자들에게 물어 가라사대 사람 들이 나를 누구라고 하느냐 28 여짜와 가로되 세례 요한이라 하고 더러는 엘리야, 더러 는 선지자 중의 하나라 하나이다 29 또 물으시되 너희는 나를 누구라 하느냐 베드로가 대답하여 가로 되 주는 그리스도 시니이다 하매 30 이에 자기의 일을 아무에게도 말하지 말라 경계하시고 31 인자가 많 은 고난을 받고 장 로들과 대제사장들과 서기관들에 게 버린바 되어 죽임을 당하고 사흘만에 살아나야 할 것을 비로소 저희 에게 가르치시되 32 드러내놓고 이 말씀을 하시니 베드로가 예수를 붙들고 간하매 33예수께서 돌이키사 제자들을 보시며 베드로를 꾸짖어 가라사대 사단아 내 뒤로 물러가라 네가 하나님 의 일을 생각지 아니하고 도리어 사람의 일을 생각하는도다 하시고 34 무리와 제자들을 불러 이르시되 아무든지 나를 따라오려거든 자기를 부인하고 자기 십자가를 지고 나를 좇을 것이니라 35누구든지 제 목숨을 구원코자 하면 잃을 것이요 누구든지 나와 복음을 위하여 제 목숨을 잃으면 구원하리라 36 사 람이 만일 온 천하를 얻고도 제 목숨을 잃으면 무엇이 유익하리요 37 사람이 무엇을 주고 제 목숨을 바 꾸겠느냐 38 누구든지 이 음란하고 죄 많은 세대에서 나와 내 말을 부끄러워하면 인자도 아버지의 영광 으로 거룩한 천사들과 함께 올 때에 그 사람을 부끄러워하리라 – 마가복음 8:27-38

Opening Remarks 서론

Here’s a true story. An actor named Ronaldo from Philippines met some of his fans after the conclusion of an annual passion play. On this occasion the fans met him at the actor's dressing room. The fans noticed in the corner of the dressing room the great cross that the actor carried in the play. The fans took pictures of Ronaldo and he asked him to take a picture of him carrying the cross. When he went it pick, his straining and quivering voice said something revealing, "If I did not feel the weight of His cross, I could not play my part."

실제로 있었던 이야기입니다. 로날드라는 필리핀 배우가 일년 동안의 <예수수난기> 연극을 마치고, 본 인의 분장실에서 몇몇 팬들과 만남을 가졌습니다. 팬들은 로날드가 연극에 쓰였던 십자가를 짊어진 사 진을 찍고자 하였습니다. 로날드가 그 십자가를 들면서, 놀라고도 떨리는 목소리로 무언가를 발견한 듯 이 이야기하기를, “ 내가 만약, 이 예수님의 십자가의 무게를 느끼지 못했다면, 나는 연극 속에서 그 역 할을 해낼 수 없었을 것입니다” 라고 했습니다.

If I did not feel the weight of his cross, I could not play my part. As Christians we can relate to Ronaldo. If we have decided to give your life to glorify Jesus’ name, we must experience the weight of carrying the cross of Jesus.
Today’s sermon is about carrying a cross, walking the way of the cross, and bearing the weight of the cross. Let us focus on what this entails.

내가 만약 십자가의 무게를 느끼지 못했다면, 연극 속의 나의 역할을 해내지 못했을 것입니다. 기독교 인으로서, 우리는 로날드의 상황과 연관 지을 수 있습니다. 우리가 우리의 삶을 예수님의 이름을 영화 롭게 하기 위해서 드리기로 결심했다면, 우리는 예수님께서 짊어지셨던 십자가의 무게를 경험해야만 합 니다. 오늘 설교말씀은 십자기 짊어지기에 관한, 십자가의 길을 걷기에 관한, 그리고 십자가의 무게를 견디기에 관한 것입니다. 이러한 일들이 수반하는 결과에 대해 알아봅시다.

Main Sermon Text: 설교본문

In the passage we read this evening, Jesus foretells his death on the cross. He is direct and clear. Like Peter, we may not want to hear what he says, but we can't mistake it. He is going to take up his cross. Those who follow him must choose, must choose to take up their cross, must choose the way of the cross, the weight of the cross for the part they are called upon to play. Jesus is calling us to be his disciples- to his teaching, to his way of life. Jesus wants us to be committed to him whatever the consequences. Jesus is telling us to throw away every other weight apart from the weight of the cross.

오늘의 본문 말씀 속에서는 우리는 예수님께서 십자가위 에서의 죽음에 대해서 미리 직접적으로 그리고 분명하게 말씀하고 계신 것을 볼 수 있습니다. 베드로와 같이 우리는 예수님이 말씀하시는 것을 듣고 싶어하지 않을 수도 있지만, 잘못 들을 수는 없습니다. 예수님께서는 십자가를 지셨습니다. 예수님을 따르는 자들은 자기의 십자가를 짊어져야만 합니다. 부름 받은 자의 역할을 감당하기 위하여 반드시, 십자가의 길을, 그리고 십자가의 무게를 선택해야만 합니다. 예수님께서는 우리를 제자 삼기 위해 부르시고, 가르치시고, 예수님의 삶의 방식을 보여주셨습니다. 예수님께서는 결과에 상관없이 우리가 헌신하기를 원하십니다. 예수님께서는 우리에게 십자가의 무게와 상관없는 모든 다른 것들을 던져버리라고 말씀하고 계십니다.

Consider Peter. Peter carried the weight of his expectations of the Jewish Messiah. When he declared, "You are the Messiah, the Christ," he declared Jesus to be the long awaited one that the people of Israel have waited for. But this was not going to be the long awaited conquering hero, who would subdue Rome, and render Israel triumphant over all. No, on the contrary. This was the long expected Messiah who yearned for, in most heart-felt way to produce love in everyone’s. In Jesus’ eyes, the Messiah represents love.

베드로를 한번 봅시다. 베드로는 유대인으 로써 오시는 메시아에 대한 기대를 가지고 있었습니다. 베드로가 “당신은 메시아시며, 그리스도이십니다. “ 라고 선언했을 때, 그는 예수님이야말로 이스라엘 민족이 오랫동안 기다려왔던 그 분이심을 선포했습 니다. 하지만, 예수님은 이스라엘 민족의 바람대로 로마를 정복하고, 승리를 안겨주러 오시는 정복자의 모습은 아니었습니다. 예수님께서는 모든 사람들의 마음속에서 사랑을 전해주러 오신 분이셨습니다. 예수님의 관점에서 메시아는 사랑을 의미합니다.

But who could blame Peter if he focused on matters of the world at the expense of the heart? Peter's concept of Messiah sounds similar to the temptations Satan offered Jesus in the wilderness at the beginning of his ministry - temptations to world domination, temptations to play God. That is why, in my opinion, Jesus responded to him, "Get behind me, Satan." He challenged Peter to lay aside the weight of those dearly held expectations of Messiah so that he might take upon himself what the true Messiah asked of him. As we all know Peter would try and fail repeatedly, before he was able to take up the cross and become the rock that Jesus knew he could be. He would commit to follow Jesus, and in the end his commitment would cost him his life. But wait, his commitment, along with the commitments of Paul and Barnabas and many, many others would found the church and make him a faithful believer of the Messiah's peace and the Messiah's message in the world. He bore the weight of the cross; walked the way of the cross. That is who we are called to be.

하지만, 누가 세상적인 문제에다 초점을 맞추었던 베드로를 비난할 수 있을까요? 메시아에 대한 베드로의 개념은 예수님께서 공생애 시작 전, 광야에서의 사단의 시험과 흡사합니다. - 사단에게 절하면 하나님과 같이 세상을 지배할 권력 을 주겠다는 유혹. 그때와 마찬가지로, 예수님께서는 이렇게 말씀하셨습니다, “사단아, 물럿거라”. 예수님께서는 베드로가 정복자로써의 메시아에 대한 그런 기대감을 버리고, 진정한 메시아가 그에게 무 엇을 요구하시는지를 그 스스로가 깨닫기를 원하셨습니다. 아는 바와 같이, 예수님께서 알고 계셨던 것 처럼 베드로는 자신의 십자가를 짊어지고 반석이 되기 전까지 계속해서 시도하고 실패했었습니다. 베드로는 예수님을 따르기로 헌신하였고, 그 헌신으로 말미암아 자신의 생명을 대가로 지불해야 했습니 다. 하지만, 그의 헌신 이 후로, 계속적인 사도바울, 바나바 그리고 많은 충성된 일꾼들이 교회를 세우 고 메시아의 평화와 복음을 세상에 전하였습니다. 베드로는 십자가의 무게를 견디며, 십자가의 길을 걸어갔습니다. 이분이 바로 우리가 사도 베드로라고 부르게 된 분이십니다.

We must lay down the heavy burdens that result from the glitzy lure of other gods and take up the weight of the cross, follow the way of the cross by choice with God's help. Together let us publicly confess our goal to carry a cross. Together we declare (read after me):

우리는 요란하고 유혹적인 우상으로부터의 무거운 부담감을 내려두고, 십자가의 무게를 짊어지고, 하나님의 도 우심을 바라고 십자가의 길을 따라야 합니다. 우리 함께 십자가를 짊어지기 위해서 우리의 목표를 공개 적으로 고백해 봅시다. 함께 선포합시다. (저를 따라 읽어주십시오)

• We will worship with other members of our community binding ourselves in prayers."
• We will live according to the values of Jesus Christ. And when we fail at this, we will - with Jesus' help and the support of the community- turn from the ways of evil and death into which we have strayed - and return to those values Jesus teaches us.
• We will proclaim Jesus Christ through our speech and in the way we live our lives.
• We will look for the Christ in each person we encounter. We will live in ways that promote love.

• 우리는 함께 기도하는 공동체로서 함께 예배드릴 것입니다.
• 우리는 예수 그리스도의 가치를 따라 살 것입니다. 그리고 우리가 실패했을 때, 우리는 예수님 의 도움과 공동체의 도움 속에 있을 것입니다- 우리가 악한 것과 죽음 속에서 길을 헤매는 것 에서 돌이켜- 예수님께서 우리에게 가르쳐 주신 가치로 되돌아갈 것입니다.
• 우리는 우리의 말속에서 그리고 우리가 살아가는 삶의 모습에서 예수님을 선언할 것입니다
• 우리는 우리가 만나는 각각의 사람 속에서 예수님을 발견할 것입니다. 우리는 사랑을 증진시키 는 방식으로 살아갈 것입니다.

These five points will remind one another and ourselves that we can only do this through God's help and with one another in the community of Christ's love. That none of us can or should try to shoulder all this weight alone. There can be no solo Christians.

이러한 다섯 가지 선언은 우리가 서로서로에게 하나님의 도우심과 예수님의 사랑의 공동체 속에서 만 이러한 일들을 할 수 있음을 상기시켜 줍니다. 우리 중 누구도 혼자서 이러한 무게를 짊어질 수는 없습니다. 고립된 기독 교인이 되어서는 안됩니다.

That we must turn to one another and together to Christ. It is by Christ's commitment to us that we may enjoy the many beautiful consequences of our commitment to the way of the cross, and it is with Christ's help that we will endure the consequences that spell suffering, even, possibly, death for his sake.

우리는 차례로 그리고 함께 그리스도께로 되돌아서야 합니다. 우리에 대한 그리스도의 헌신으로 우리는 십자가의 길에 대한 우리의 헌신으로 인한 많은 아름다운 결 과를 보면 기뻐할 수 있을 것이며, 이것은 우리가 고통 받고, 심지어 목숨까지 내놓아야 하는 것을 우리 가 견딜 수 있는 것은 그리스도의 도움이 함께 하기 때문입니다.

The cross I bear and the cross you bear next to me will build up the kingdom. A kingdom full of crosses. 나와 여러분이 짊어진 십자가로 인하여 십자가로 가득 찬 왕국이 건설될 것입니다.
Let us trust Jesus, who first bore his cross to the place where he died for us, and who comes back as our companion on our way. It is the weight of his cross that enables us to bear the weight of the cross each of us is given, enables us to live the way of the cross in his world. It is total commitment to that way that Jesus calls upon us to choose in this passage from the Gospel of Mark. Amen.

우리를 위해 죽으실 그 장소로 십자가를 짊어지고 가신 예수님 그리고 우 리 가는 길에 우리와 동행하시는 예수님을 신뢰케 하소서. 예수님의 십자가의 무게로 인하여 우리가 우 리에게 주어진 각자의 십자가의 무게를 견딜 수 있는 힘을 주고, 우리로 하여금 이세상에서 십자가의 길을 살아갈 힘을 주십니다. 이것이 바로 마가복음의 말씀 속에서 예수님께서 우리를 부르신 온전한 헌신의 길입니다.

After sermon prayer:
Let us pray.
Lord, keep us mindful that...
Before we remember you, you are thinking of us.
Before we talk to you, you are listening.
Before we know we are in trouble, you are saving us.
Before we try to please you, you are loving us.
Before we recognize our sin, you are forgiving us.
Before we see each other, you are gathering us together.
Before we call you to be near, you are here.
Keep us thankful Lord for your steadfast love so that we might give up the weight of things that separate us from weight of the cross. The way of the cross with you, Jesus is my whole and complete devotion. Amen

주님, 이 마음을 우리에게 심어 주소서…
우리가 주님을 기억하기 전에 주님께서 우리를 생각하심을,
우리가 주님께 말씀 드리기 전에, 주님께서 이미 듣고 계심을,
우리가 고난 당함을 알기 전에 이미 구원하셨음을,
우리가 주님을 기쁘시게 하기 전에 이미 우리를 사랑하고 계셨음을,
우리가 우리의 죄를 깨닫기 전에 이미 우리를 용서하셨음을,
우리가 서로를 보기 전에 이미 우리를 모으고 계셨음을,
우리가 주님을 부르기 전에 이미 이곳에 계심을,
감사하신 하나님, 우리를 사랑하셔서, 십자가의 무게와 구별된 삶의 무게를 제하여 주시니 감사를 드립니다. 주님과 함께 하는 십자가의 길이 주님을 향한 헌신의 길임을 알게 하시니 감사 드립니다.
사랑의 구주 예수 그리스도의 이름으로 기도 드렸습니다. 아멘.